• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

more heating.

anny

So I brought my first snake home today. (Female Okeetee, born around last August) She's wonderful.

I have a question about thermostats (or rheostats; which?). I know I should get one to control heat and all, but when you get a thermostat, do you have to get a heat pad that has a pre-attached thermostat? Or do you put thermostats on the heat pads yourself? How would you go about doing this?
Where do you buy one?

What brand of UTH do you use? Do they normally stick to the bottom of the glass tank?

Also, at what temperatures is it possible for the snakes to burn themselves?

I feel really confident about caring for my lovely snake but I'm just worried about heating and doing it correctly.

I know there's been a lot of questions about heat. Thanks,
Annie

Annie,

There are many ways to heat your new arrival. You could use a heat bulb, under tank heater, heat rocks (not recommended) or you could have a whole room heated (usually that is done when you have a lot more that one snake). If you use a bulb, have it on one side so that you have a warm side and a cool side so the snake can choose where it is more comfortable. Some under tank heaters have a "preset temperature" and don't need to be on a thermostat, but I have found that they sometimes don't work correctly and disaster can happen. :cry: There is heat tape (which is the cheapest) but it needs a thermostat, which bumps the price up. I personally use the heat tape and a thermostat. I have found Big Apple Herp to be reasonably priced and they ship quickly.

Hope this helps.

Dave

anny said:
So I brought my first snake home today. (Female Okeetee, born around last August) She's wonderful.

Annie,
I'd love to see a couple photos of your Okeetee. One of our snakes is an Okeetee of roughly the same age. Please post a pic or two to the gallery section of the site. Thanks.

Cheers,
Jason

Neumann, I'll definitely post pictures within a few days or so. I need to get my hands on a camera. She's beautiful, in my own biased opinion.

Thanks, Dand, for the answer!

I just got an Aztec Okeetee. She's a beaut! Here's her picture.

Attachments

• maya1.jpg
    maya1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 49
Back