• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

More rat babies

Daeraelle

My favorite rat finally had babies. She's a great mom, and sweet too. She has issues with hiding her babies UNDER the bedding, but they all had full bellies. I apparantly miscounted when I put the babies down and froze them. I thought I had dug them all up. She had another one feeding it this morning. But there could be more underneath the bedding. I guess I'll be able to tell when they start walking, lol. She worked hard enough to hide these from me, I'll let her keep what's left. They are ALL hooded. So she obviously doesn't have albino floating around in there like the other rats.

She had two nursing last night, so she dug up one more. That makes 14, and it's her first litter. I think she's going to be a great producer. Maybe she has more, but I doubt it, 14 is a lot for a first litter anyway in my opinion. Maybe it's because she didn't get pregnant as young as the others, she's also a little bit older than them and they had already had babies before she even got pregnant for the first time.

I wish I had left some now, the two left are the cutest little fat things I've ever seen. They haven't opened their eyes yet, but they're crawling a little bit. I'm all like "Awwwww! Cuteness!" and my husband is like "They're rats... they stink... put them in the garage."

Daeraelle said:
I wish I had left some now, the two left are the cutest little fat things I've ever seen. They haven't opened their eyes yet, but they're crawling a little bit. I'm all like "Awwwww! Cuteness!" and my husband is like "They're rats... they stink... put them in the garage."

Would have to agree with the hubby!..LOL

J/k.. I have a colony of mice that I'm deathly afraid of. but keep them for our babies. I have my daughters care for them....I just can't bring myself to having anything to do with them. I even had to have the frozen feeder/breeders we purchased for Tiaga put in freezer bags just so I could handle them to thaw them for her...........LMAO... I'm such a woos!

The rats are great, it's the mice that stink, lol. My mice smell so much worse than the rats. I'm up to 6 rats now in two seperate colonies, and just five mice (who will NOT breed) and I believe one mouse can make more stink than all my rats put together. I think the mice are going to have to become rat snake food.

Rats don't really stink if you keep them in wire cages.

Mice are a different story. I was so happy when my natal rats started producing well enough that I could get rid of ALL the mice. No more stink.
\
...and my new baby ball python ate for me on the first try today, tough it took an hour so I was starting to worry. She ate a live young natal rat, so I have no need for mice at all.

My rats don't stink. Well, every once in a while, but nothing compaired to the mice. Ugghhh. My mice don't even have babies! I think one of them is pregnant now, and because two new snakes I have are so small I want some little mice right before the peach fuzzy stage to feed them. So I'm trying to wait. I hate mice. Both of the rat babies my female is still nursing are males. Just my luck, lol. I guess when they get bigger the rat snakes can have them. I haven't wanted to disturb them to check before now, but they've darkened up, and they should start getting hair here in a day or so.

If her next litter is close to the same size as her first litter I'm going to raise some of the girls for breeders. It also works out well for me because she's the one that has turned out to be a pet, lol. She's the sweetest rat I have. I'm also waiting for my albino mom to pop. She's so HUGE. The one that only had 8 a couple of days ago, I didn't even know she was ready, she looked like she wasn't far along at all, barely any belly. Her first litter was like that too, she gave birth when I wasn't expecting her to be ready yet.

My albino rat mom had her babies today, and she had 17!!! My snakes can smell them apparantly, they're ALL out and about trying to find out where the food is. This would be a great opportunity for tongue shots. Unfortunately though my house smells like rat afterbirth... or something. It smells funny anyway.

Are they doing alright? I've never noticed any particular smell during or after birth... but then they always seem to wait until I'm out.

Everything seems to be fine, other than the one evil rat who birthed 8 (7 live) has stolen the albino females 17 babies, and can't feed them all. Some of the new babies don't have milk in their stomachs, so I've just put them down and stuck them in the freezer. She's the smallest rat I have, and was already losing a lot of weight from just 7 nursing babies. I think I'm going to have to cull her. My mice had babies as well, and now that I'm used to seeing rat babies, I can't believe how TINY they are. I can't believe my snake used to eat the smallest 1 day old pinks I could find. Tiny little buggers. I guess it shows how much she's grown. I haven't bothered the mice for a count, I fed and watered them and left them alone. They seem to be doing fine and I didn't want to encourage any cannibalism. I'll get a count when they get to culling size. There are two seperate groups of babies in opposite corners of the tank though, so they are split up. That's different for me when dealing with mice, they usually pile them all together and communally take care of them. These moms seem to be keeping to their own.

Back