• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Morph Question

lxhiddenxl

I'm not sure if this goes here but it is morph related. I have a corn snake and she was labeled as a creamsicle. On here I feel like people either use amel or anery. I know that has to do with the black vs light coloring. But, what I was wondering is what the difference is about a creamsicle and if that is just a sales pitch or something. I also was wondering how her colors are going to turn out when she is a bit older. I have pics of her on my profile. Can anyone help?

So you mean I have a hybrid on my hands?? Interesting. Is there much difference between her and a full corn? And if I do decided to breed... (which I highly doubt) what does that mean in that sense?

Yep, beautifullywild's got it. It's hard to know how much of her is corn or rat but any progeny should always be labeled as a hybrid!

If you did breed you would just label them accordingly as hybrids.

I haven't noticed much difference in them but others can spot them right away!

Hmmm interesting. I did not know that. I still would've bought her had I known. I am very pleased with her. My first snake and she's been pretty patient with me and my bf.

Is there any differences in caring for a hybrid vs a pure?

Creamsicles are a hybrid between emoyri rat and a corn. Just the amel version. Normal versions are called rootbeers!

Yes and no.... This is the way it should be. However there are still some that call rootbeers Creamsicles, so just be careful. Also there is Cinnamon, which is the hypo version of the cross. :)

There is no difference in care and depending upon how much emoryi blood versus corn blood, or if the snake is a "throw-back", not much difference in size or color, although creamsicles do tend to be a bit more of a "creamy" orange versus the usual amel corm, but that can vary as well.

Thank you! I think she is going to be a light verison. She is bright orange towards her head and it gets lighter almost a peach color once you get to her tail. Since she shed she now has some very thin white lines around her saddles. I wanted a lighter color snake so I'm happy the way she is turning out. Can't wait to see what she looks like as an adult.

Just to fully explain things.
Most cornsnake morphs are caused be recessive genes. Amel, short for amelanistic is a recessive gene that removes all the black pigment in a cornsnake. Amelanistic means no melanin, which is the black pigment
Anery is a recessive gene that eliminates the red pigement, erythrin is the red pigmentation so anerythristic means no erythrin
Hypo-melanistic reduces the black but does not eliminate it totally
Caramel turns the red pigment to yellow pigment (Xanthin)
There are about two dozen known recessive genes that cause visual morphs.

What would properly be called Creamsicle has the amelanistic morph as well as a percentage of emory's rat snake genes. Emory is probably the closest related snake to a corn snake, it used to be considered a sub species of corn, I don't think it is anymore.
An emory's looks very close to anery corn snake, very low red colour. Mixing it with corn snake gives you something that looks almost like a pure corn snake but with reduced red colour, we call this a rootbeer. Mix in the amel gene and take away the black pigment and you get a creamsicle, the red is reduced and looks more orange.

A picture or two would be nice, sometimes pets stores or people selling the snakes don't understand that these names have genetic meanings and think they only describe colour. There are orange amels that are pure corns, there are emory's hybrids that have intense red. It's always good to get a second opinion from us corn snake nerds.

Back