• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

motley??

oldsnow

Hrmmmm........
I had Thumper out today to give his daily Baytril and noticed a couple of his saddles are linked about halfway down his back. I don't know much about morphs and since I have a snow and a snow stripe I haven't really felt the need to look very far into it. I think I remember reading somewhere that motley is given since saddles link in places. I snapped a few pics while I had him out, but since he is snow and he also just came out of blue and should be shedding soon they aren't the greatest. I'll attach the clearest ones, and leave it to the more experienced to let me know. First image shows pattern just behind his head and the others show his saddles where they connect...

Attachments

• DSCN1866.JPG
    DSCN1866.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN1872.JPG
    DSCN1872.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN1870.JPG
    DSCN1870.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN1876.JPG
    DSCN1876.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 104
Nearly all corns have some linked saddles along their necks. Those that have a large number, but are not genetically motley are often referred to as notleys... because they are not a motley. That's why my little one, Nautley, is named such.

If your snow has any belly checkers, it is also just "normal" pattern-wise.

Can you get a full length body shot, and a belly shot as well. Judging by the first pic it looks like the saddles on the rest of the body are normal, and like Shiari said it is normal for regularly patterned snakes to have linked saddles in the neck area.

hope this helps until i can grab some pics

The last two pictures show the only 2 saddles on the body area that are linked. And I can get plenty of full body pictures but having a white snake with pink saddles makes for pointless pictures unless they are close. He only has those two saddles that are linked on his body and there are probably 8 unconnected saddles between the neck area and the ones that are connected, and then they go back to broken again. As for the belly pattern I will have to wait until tomorrow to snap some pics but I can say that it is checkered with one half of two belly scales being pinkish and the other half being white, alternating sides all the way down.

Belly checkers = not motley. A motley snake would have no pattern or markings on the ventrum.

But beautiful snow.

Shiari, I just checked out your thread on your little one and see what you are saying about the belly pattern. I will pull him out in the morning and check him thoroughly and snap some pics so someone who knows a little more about morphs than I do to give their opinion.

Shiari, I just checked out your thread on your little one and see what you are saying about the belly pattern. I will pull him out in the morning and check him thoroughly and snap some pics so someone who knows a little more about morphs than I do to give their opinion.

Not sure what you are expecting, but the answer below is correct.

Belly checkers = not motley. A motley snake would have no pattern or markings on the ventrum.

But beautiful snow.

My normal motley het stripe has one single black smudge on a scale on his neck on the underside. I had it looked at, not mites and not any kind of infection. Maybe a beauty mark? LOL, my amel mot het caramel stripe absolutely no marks on the belly side. My 08 Amel has saddles that link but both look funky. She has 2 sets like that. One way down the tail the other where I imagine hips would be if she had legs. I could get pics if you want. She is not motley.

No need to check further. As has been stated, belly checkers = not motley. Always. "Normal" not-motley snakes often have a few joined, stretched, offset or otherwise atypical saddles. This doesn't make them motley, just confirms that individuals are, well, individual. :)

Thumper is a pretty boy. Not being motley has nothing do with beauty in my book.

Not sure what you are expecting, but the answer below is correct.

If you were to look at the timestamps you will realize that I was typing my post that came after the "belly checkers = not motley" as he submitted it. I'm not begging for Thumper to be a motley as you are evidently assuming, because I have no intentions of breeding him, so it doesn't really matter. My others, I will breed, because I will know their backgrounds since they come from breeders, but not him. As Caryl said, motley has nothing to do with beauty as far as I'm concerned. I was just asking so I would know. Everyone else, thanks for the info......

Back