• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Mouse In the House!

Siren

My mom went out to get the mail today and there outside in our courtyard is a little brown mouse. It appeared injured to her so my father and daughter caught it and put it in a critter cage till I got home.

I've had a look at it and it appears to have an infection by its back legs, hence why it walks weird. He/she is eating and drinking and apparently when they first caught it, it was pretty active. But its very calm now. Between the time they spot it and I got home, it doesn't seem afraid of people at all. Of course none of us is touching it (save for when I scruffed it to have a better look at its injury). I think it was a hawk-fall. When a bird of prey catches someone and drops it accidentally. We get such falls at least once a year in my yard alone. I've been outside twice and witnessed some poor creature fall from the sky only to see a bird of prey flying over. But when its happened, they are usually dead. First one to be alive. And I think its a Florida Mouse. Trying to Google "Florida Mouse" all I get is Mickey! LOL From what I read, they live with gopher tortoises, so my courtyard isn't a natural environment. So I can only figure it was dropped.

I have him/her in a herp habitat with some bedding, food, and water. I showed it the water and it sucked on the sponge for a good 10 minutes. Poor thing. Not sure what I should do quite yet. Figured give it a night in a warm cage with food and water to gain its strength and set it free in an area with gopher tortoises. Any one know of any nesting grounds? If it is a Florida Mouse, its considered an endangered species, so I don't want to muck around with that and certainly not keep it. But if it came from a hawk, I have no idea where it was from originally. I'll try to call a rehabber tomorrow, in case they do deal with mice.

And of course, pics and I think its a baby.

IM002750.jpg

IM002753-1.jpg

IM002753.jpg

Back