• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Moving again. Transport suggestions

Hello all,
I will be moving from Florida back to Nevada here in the next couple of months. I have two snakes. One is a Corn a few years old and the other is a Ball Python who is 2 years old. I'm not going to try and ship them overnight like I did on my last move as that turned out to be a hassle with finding someone to watch them etc... while I drove across the country. Instead this time I plan to take both of them with me. I would like to minimize the stress on them as much as possible so I'm going to throw my plan on here and I was hoping that some of you could give me some good suggestions or pointers on the best way to do this.
I'll be driving interstate 10 which runs the southern most in the US. I figured this would be good b/c I will have the best shot at warm weather and least worries about snow. I have a shipping box along with two snake bags from when I shipped my two snakes via Fedex. I also have two 28 quart sterilite tubs w/ lots of holes soldered in them. I plan to get some repti heat packs for shipping at the local reptile store and apply them when needed if it gets to chilly. I figured while I drove during the day I would keep my two snakes in the bags in the shipping box. At night when I stop I will put them both in their own 28 quart tub w/ a hide and a bowl of fresh h20. I plan not to feed them for at least a week before departing. Hopefully neither one will be in shed around this time. So that's my plan but I would love some good suggestions. Please let me know.
Thanks.

I'm guessing as long as they are with in the the car (and out of the sun) the temps should be fine. Bring them in if you stay somewhere.

I hop[e poeple who have travel with snakes will chime in for you tho.
Good luck

Your plan sounds alot better than what I did when I first moved with Rune...I was moving from Oregon to Montana and I had him in one of those white styrofoam coolers (with air ventilation holes) and before we even got out of Oregon he had escaped o.o...I was devastated...I thought he was gone forever...long story short I found him in the trunk after I got to Montana...he had found his way from the back seat into the trunk, under the mat...he had some black goo stuck to his body that he eventually shed off but was no worse for wear...next time I move I will DEFINITELY have a better plan...

I should mention that I did "secure" the lid of the cooler...but clearly it was not snake proof lol...

its always best to use a snake bag AND a container not just one or the other lol. makes it twice as hard to escape.

your plan sounds good. like mentioned above just keep them out of the sun and they should be fine

I emailed Kathy Love about it and she said it was a good plan but to just get them out of the bags once during the trip and give them water as getting them in and out of the bags constantly will cause them more stress.

I'd get some snake bags or pillowcases to use as snake bags and transport them in there. Put in a few crumpled up paper towels in the bags with them to give them a little more security. I'd also bring some heat packs (reptile shipping kind, not hand warmers, etc) for emergency in case you end up in a blizzard or your heater breaks in your car, etc. Then I'd probably put them in a cooler in their bags for the actual car trip.

The idea about taking them out at night and offering them water is a good one. It wouldn't be necessary to set them up in tubs at night, they'll be OK with bags as their homes for a few days.

My last trip was Northern IL to Southern CA and it took me 3 days drive. I put my adults in large gladware containers with aspen and put them into a cooler. The hatchlings went into deli's or small sandwich containers. I usually use snake bags but I wanted a little more cushion for them for this long trip. I never once took them out because I didnt want to further stress them. I did keep a thermometer probe in the cooler to check on them and I did peek in on them every couple hours. They were fine. As long as they feel secure, and its dark, they will be ok. Also, I have done this with them a lot these past couple years, they are seasoned travelers!

Back