• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Moving long distance with a snake.

erosdq

I will be moving September 1st to North Dakota. I have a 1 year old corn snake. How do you reccommed traveling with the snake. It's a 14 hr. drive and i have never transported a snake for that long of a drive or for that long of a drive.

i can't answer your question, but this is information I also need ... I will be moving cross country (destination currently unkown, but possibly as far as florida) in a year and am planning on taking the snakes too ... although depending on where I was thinking of trying to find a fedex certified person around where I live to ship 'em to me once i get there.

I know that there are several breeders that make long trips for snake/reptile shows, so perhaps one of them can offer advice/suggestions?

No problem if you are driving! We will be driving from Florida to Cal and Az with 200 or so babies again this year. We have drilled some air holes into a large cooler so it takes a while for it to get too warm or too cool. And I could add cool or hot packs to the cooler if needed. Still, don't go out of the car too long to eat, shop, etc. If you have only a couple of snakes, they could go in sacks or deli cups and be removed from the cooler into your handbag or back pack, etc, when going in to a restaurant.

Be sure to put the cooler on something to raise it off the floor of the car as there are hot spots in some areas of the floor. And don't let the sun beat on it either, even when the a/c is on.

You can just buy a cheap styro cooler and punch a few holes in it. If you don't have too many, you might be able to get a styro shipping box for free from a pharmacy, vet clinic, or pet shop that gets tropical fish shipped in. Depends on the size you need.

If you have to ship because you are flying, the easiest way is to pay somebody who is FedEx certified to do it for you.

kathylove said:
No problem if you are driving! We will be driving from Florida to Cal and Az with 200 or so babies again this year. We have drilled some air holes into a large cooler so it takes a while for it to get too warm or too cool. And I could add cool or hot packs to the cooler if needed. Still, don't go out of the car too long to eat, shop, etc. If you have only a couple of snakes, they could go in sacks or deli cups and be removed from the cooler into your handbag or back pack, etc, when going in to a restaurant.

Be sure to put the cooler on something to raise it off the floor of the car as there are hot spots in some areas of the floor. And don't let the sun beat on it either, even when the a/c is on.

You can just buy a cheap styro cooler and punch a few holes in it. If you don't have too many, you might be able to get a styro shipping box for free from a pharmacy, vet clinic, or pet shop that gets tropical fish shipped in. Depends on the size you need.

If you have to ship because you are flying, the easiest way is to pay somebody who is FedEx certified to do it for you.

Would a Rubbermaid latchable stroagebox with air holes in it work? I will not have any room in the front of the u haul with me because there will be 2 other ppl in there. I was going to but her in back with all my other stuff. We will be stopping at least once a hour cause i will also have 2 cats with us. At night when we get a hotel room i will bring the snake and cats in with me.

It would work, but will not have any insulating value. I would be concerned with cats or any other animals in the back of a non-temperature controlled vehicle. It just depends on the temps, I guess. If the temps don't get too hot, it will be fine.

thanks!

I'll be moving at least one cat with me so, wouldn't have to worry too much about leaving the critters alone in the car for too long while we're "out and about"

I currently have 7 snakes ... the number might increase a few before I move after the 2008 breeding season, so they should all fit into a stryofoam cooler, if I need 2 I'll get 2 ...

i really don't want to have to fly on this move 'cause then I'd have to ship the cat too, plus we don't have enough stuff to pay for someone to move it (move is for Grad school)

~rosecat

Here is my reply from another thread, I suppose drilling holes would work well for air exchange but I would closely watch temps. Kathy moves large numbers but for one snake you could even get a lunchbox cooler and just bag it and pack it in the cooler.

Ok here goes, I just made a move in July with three snakes over 36 hours (don't ask).
This is how I did it, each snake was placed in a pillow case and tied shut, then each snake was placed inside their feeding box and taped shut. (my wife is paranoid about snake security) then we put the snakes inside a cooler with a thermostat probe and taped the digital read out on the outside of the cooler. We opened the cooler every 4 hours for air exchange and checked the temps. Weather outside was 85-90 and humid, temp in cooler never exceeded 80 degrees and most of the time was between 72-75.
They were the last packed items and the first unpacked items. All are well and were only a little pissed when they came out of the bags. The cooler really kept the temps constant even setting in a hot car and with the probe in there we never had to open them in a hot area to check the temps. We already had all the stuff and now I have an extra fishing cooler because my wife refuses to use it. LOL

Moving

We moved from Charleston, South Carolina to Arlington, Texas in Feb. We had 40 snakes or more. We kept the snakes in my husbands car with 2 cats and 2 dogs in my car. We knew who was who so we put all the hatchling corns in a 10gal tank and kept all the others (corns, balls and kings) in their normal containers (rubbermaid w/ holes). We also threw a sheet over them to keep the sunlight off them. We did great getting them to the new place except that the movers were a week later than they were supposed to be and had our space heater. We had this weird cold spell which dropped the temp. We lost a few due to feeding them and they got too cold. The ones that regurgitated were fine. So I suggest making sure that you keep all the snake stuff with you while you travel just in case. Hope this helps a little.

My girl and i are driving the truck ourself so lucky i don't have to worry about movers. The on thing i have to figure out is how i'm going to get 3 people, 2 cats, and 1 snake in the cab of the truck.

Back