• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

moving out

dara

So Leonard is moving up in the world...I bought him a new viv and a set of new furniture to go with. What's the best way to transition him into the new tank? Just plop him in and leave him alone for awhile? Should I bring his old substrate in there so it smells like home? I bought another small hide so that he can tuck himself away in a small space if he wants, although he doesn't usually use hides anyway.

Man, this place is the Trump Towers compared to the 10-gallon tank...I splurged and bought a 40 gallon. And for those of you who are considering such a move up in the world, a word of warning: in the pet store, it doesn't look all that big (I was actually considering an even *bigger* one!). But sitting in the spot where the old tank was (after a large amount of twisting and turning and sweating and is it impossible to have all four of those little sticky feet on the bottom at the same time? I think so!) it is like Buckingham Palace. And Leonard is about to live like a king (although he already eats like one).

Dara

Oh yeah, and in case you missed the question: what's the best way to transition to a new home?

Don't know if it matters or not, but when I switch snakes to new cages I tend to keep the same water dishes with them as well as the same hides and/or decorations. Bedding and everything else gets changed or cleaned.

If you think about it, when you do an overall cleaning of the cage, most everything gets put back in the cage 'new'.

D80

Not that I've done it or anything, but I'd just pick him up and put him in there. It doesn't seem like he'd need as much adjusting time as if you just bought him, but I would still give him some exloring alone-time to get used to his palace. After all, the king needs to know his kingdom :)

I just got mine a new viv too, and I kept her water bowl, plant, and climbing branch. I only added another hide like you did. I just put her in and let her investigate. She spent about an hour and a half checking out all the spots until she decided to curl up in her new hide on the cool side. She hasn't even been in the warm side hider that has the heat mat, and light. She either lays in her planter, or between her rock and the tank side, or in her log hide. Here's what the viv looks like.

Attachments

• cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 78
I ended up just plopping him in with some old furniture and some new. He investigated for awhile, took a thorough look around, and then curled up under the water dish like normal...some things never change. But I did wait until he took a big poop in the old tank to move him to the new one, might as well start as fresh as possible!

dara

Heh... I'd have waited til feed-day and then fed after an hour in the new digs...
I'm betting that (much like when I moved into my new house a few years ago) having a good eat and a good poop in the new place sort of makes it your own...

He doesn't eat in the viv anyway, so that wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Now if only I could train him not to poop in the viv! Just imagine, I'd have the world's first (I think? I hope!) potty-trained snake!

My only problem is that when I put her back in the viv after feeding her yesterday, she wasn't full enough. She didn't want to stay in the hide with the heat mat, she went and laid in her planter again. The heat lamp is off at night, and the temps get pretty low in there, so I'm worried that she won't be able to digest her food. We'll have to see. In her smaller tank, she only had the one hide with half of it on the heat mat, and the other half off. This one actually has a hider completely on the cool side. In the morning before the heat lamp comes on, the whole tank get down to about 62 degrees. She still only likes the cool side, and doesn't use the heat mat very much. I hope I'm not going to have to move something.....

Great to hear that your snake moved into a new viv. Does he have to pay more rent? :)

I'm currently building a new viv for my two buggers as well. Man I hope I don't have to move to soon. Would get difficult with one 4x4x2ft and one 4x3x2ft viv. :awcrap:

Greetz

Acradon

Back