• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Moving soon.

Gabriele

Hi All,
Could someone tell me the best way to move a snake. She's a baby corn about 5 months old and when we move, it's not far, so she won't be inconvenienced more than a 1/2 and hour or so. What is the safest way so she doesn't get hurt.
I was thinking a plastic container with airholes - is there a better way?

Thats how we've moved ours. Plastic totes, with air holes. We used either a washcloth, or wadded up paper towels to give ours something to "hide" in as well. I stacked the small totes, made sure they were secure, and covered them with a small blanket to keep them dark.

In a plastic container with a few small air holes is just fine! Just remember, as with all animals, don't leave your snake in the car or out in the hot sun. It only takes a few minutes for the temperature in the car to rise to a lethal level or for the sun to turn a plastic container into an oven.

Well since Gabriele already beat me to asking how I could move my corn but I won't be moving till august and its almost a 3 1/2 hr drive. And its not jus mine its my bfs two as well. Is there a better way for longer trips. They are still small corns about 14-17 inches as of right now. Any ideas would be very helpful.

The thing I would think is most important is keeping them cool enough. Temps can shoot up with sun shining into a car. If I was moving with my corns I would do it at night or early in the day (before 10am) if it was a cool enough time of year. In the summer where I live, definitely at night.

I have read about using coolers with ice packs. Make sure that you crack the lid on the cooler and don't get it too cold. Use a probe thermometer.

I have made two-day trips with 9 snakes before and none were worse for wear. I put the adults in pillow cases, the younger ones in deli's or other small containers. I put everyone in a cardboard box, cover it, and put it behind the passenger seat on the floor. I keep a thermometer probe in the box to monitor (I dont let it get warmer than the high 70s, if it does I crank the AC on the floor). Just in the past 3 years I have moved them from CO to FL, FL to IL, IL to TX, and next week I am going from TX to AZ. They are seasoned travelers!

Ok thanks for all the advice. I will have to tell the bf early or late so they stay cool. And I told him no stops what so ever. So we get there asap so we don't stress them to much. But they all seem to be rather lazy and unstressable.. lol cause I'm always changing mines tank around. Lol Gotta blame that on a bit of OCD.. lol

Corn snakes have gotta be the most low maintenance pet out there. You dont even need to walk them on road trips!

I am a big fan of lunchboxes and coolers for maintaining temperatures or even just for added security. The beer can type coolers (soft outer shell with a hard plastic liner) are perfect for keeping temps in the safe range hot or cold. I just stick each snake in a pillow case and put them in the lunchbox with hot or cold packs, or without anything if the temps are safe. I stick a probe thermometer in the box to monitor everything and put everyone in the car. When I had hatchlings too small to trust in pillowcases I had a few of the teeny tiny critter keepers and I would pack those in a cooler for the same affect and double security.

Back