• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Multiple Baby Cornsnakes Question

natfoth

Snake Lover
So i currently have 1 baby cornsnake that is about 6 months old. I was thinking about getting another one so i could have 2. Just wanted to know any suggestions on whats else i need to do or how i can handle two of them. Also wanted to know if cornsnakes like to be left alone or like to have another snake with them. Thanks :)

Snakes are solitary. Having to live with another snake stresses them. It is a very bad idea. If you get another, you need to isolate the new snake for at least three months. Keep all supplies separate. Always handle the new after the old, with plenty of handwashing in between! Different rooms are ideal, but not everyone can manage that. Just be very careful not to contaminate your old snake with the new one.

Whatever you do, don't put two snakes together right away, especially if the size of the two differs. Young babies are commonly known for eating each other. They just don't know what's food and what's not yet. There are also other issues, such as disease. You should keep your two snakes separate at least a few months to make sure they are both healthy, and not passing on parasites, diseases, etc. Size also matters. I didn't put any of my snakes together until they were a year old, and they reached relatively the same size. A larger snake could easily accidently crush a smaller one. So once they reach a good size, and the around the same size, you may then put them together, but you must monitor them the first week or so very very closely. Even though corns don't typically get aggressive towards each other (except mating season), one snake may still bully the other, or they just may not get along. Snakes are like people. Some like others, some like to be by themselves. Also, with feeding, NEVER EVER feed them in the same enclosure together. I made the accident of doing this once with two of my snakes thinking that as long as I gave them both a mouse, they'd be fine. Well one scarfed down his mouse a lot quicker then the other one, in which the one that was done eating then began to try to consume the second mouse (which was already halfway down the other snake's throat). I had to actually cut the mouse in half to avoid one snake consuming the other by sheer accident. I learned from that mistake. If I hadn't been paying attention, I could have easily lost a snake that day. And cutting the one mouse in half was disguisting and very messy (blood and guts everywhere). So just keep these comments in mind. PLEASE!

I'm simply stating my opinions. I'm not saying it's necessarily OK, but they should at least know their options. It's not terribly wrong to put corns together as long as the cage is the right size and the snakes get along. I had 4 corns together for years in a 150 gal viv. They didn't mind being together at all. Not saying everyone should do it or try it, because all snakes are different. But you shouldn't criticize someone just for stating an opinion. It's simply that, an opinion. I'm not an expert, nor did I ever claim to be. I'm simply going off my experiences.

As has been stated in multiple threads over the years..cohabitation is never a problem until it is a problem. The general consensus by experienced breeders is that cohabitation is not a good idea on many levels and should not be done -period. The risks far outweigh any perceived benefits - of which the only confirmed benefit is that it is cheaper for the owner than buying separate housing for each snake.
Snakes are solitary animals. They do not enjoy each others company no matter what you may think you observe. The only time they come together in the wild is for breeding - they do not live together or socialize. Possible cannibalism (at any age although more common as babies), spreading of disease and unanticipated breeding or breeding too young are the most common potential problems.

WP - you may never have had a problem - but to advise someone new to the hobby that it is ok just because you haven't had an issue is misleading and potentially dangerous information. The people like myself, Nanci and elrojo (as well as others that I am sure will join the discussion) do not say this to be mean or rude to you personally - but because we have seen too many problems that people have had due to cohabitation and firmly believe it should not be done and strongly advise against it to any new owners.

Natfoth, you certainly can get another corn. Nanci's advice is sound, and it will help make your new experience as positive as your first one obviously was. You wouldn't want another if the first one hadn't been fun, after all.

Good for you and your snakes to do your research before adding another. If you aren't sure what morph you want, check out the photo gallery and dream! A cautionary note: once you're shopping, you may find it tough to choose only ONE more! lol

As for cohabbing, while it's true that some have done it and not had an issue, it does carry a risk. Do a search on this forum and/or in other places. There are a lot of good reasons to avoid it. If you want what's best and safest for your animals, don't take the chance.

Best of luck, and have fun finding that next corn!

question....

now, i am new to this too, so these are really innocent, learning questions, what bad problems have you found from co habitating? I have several chameleons, geckos and frogs, they all have their own space, and some prefer solitary, some like company, but as far as disease goes, has anyone ever transferred diseases or anything from one animal to another? I separate news from olds for 90 days before introductions, but can't say i kept the supplies seperate. I know one day this will nip me in the butt and someone will get something, but how often does this happen? any stories to make me think twice?

Let me put my two bits in.

I co-habbed a pair of corns for about 3 years and woke up one day to find one very contented fat corn. Its like saying "IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME", Trust me, it eventually will happen.

Co-habbing is a no-no situation.

Ciao

now, i am new to this too, so these are really innocent, learning questions, what bad problems have you found from co habitating? I have several chameleons, geckos and frogs, they all have their own space, and some prefer solitary, some like company, but as far as disease goes, has anyone ever transferred diseases or anything from one animal to another? I separate news from olds for 90 days before introductions, but can't say i kept the supplies seperate. I know one day this will nip me in the butt and someone will get something, but how often does this happen? any stories to make me think twice?

Worms, parasites, and mites as mentioned are extremely easy to spread even when you aren't cohabbing. I hand sanitize between each and every cage all the time and have over 30 geckos easily, but think about how easily us humans contract illness from one another. No reptile I am familiar with likes company they are not social or emotional animals as much as we wish they were. The only time I keep pairs together is for the purpose of breeding and even then breeders sleep in my room so I can intervene when need be and I have needed to on several occasions. Here are two recent stories since you want to hear the horrors of cohabbing. I had two hatchling geckos both clutchmates who I do keep together usually with few problems other than the occasional tail nip here and there. I hear a scuffle one night and go toward the noise to find hannibal eating clarises head having half the gecko down. I immediately begin spraying them with water which usually works, but no dice. Finally i grab both of them and get clarises head free which for all the trauma actually was looking ok. These were two geckos I was going to be shipping soon so they were separated immediately and owner was contacted who thank god laughed. Then a week or so later I wake up to mist down cages and see two hatchlings at one of the water bowls almost just walking by, but then I saw the one hatchling was twitching, hmmm. I open the cage and see the one hatchling had decided to eat the others tail- remember cresteds are NOT known to be cannabalistic but right in front of me was all the evidence I needed. I have cohabbed hatchlings for 7 years and NEVER had an incident until this season. I will NEVER cohab clutchmates again lesson learned for me. cohabbing animals that would NEVER live together in the wild is a mistake, stupid, reckless, and a bunch of other not nice things. Go to your local humane society they always have spare aquariums for sale super cheap. A small investment for your animals sake is always worth it.

I love statements like "I keep my corns together and they get along just fine!"

What do you think they are going to do....learn to speak and tell you that they love each other?

The subtle nuances of snake behavior can EASILY be missed....or anthropomorphosized into something else.

"oh look, they're cuddling up together under the hide!" :rolleyes:

Bottom line....most here won't recommend cohabbing. If you want to do it anyway, it's at your own risk, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't tell a new keeper it's ok to cohab.

</rant>

Back