• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

my corn snake

Why do people do that? We have no way of knowing if that snake is a hybrid or not, so why say that it is? I don't understand that...

I agree

It is one thing to speculate but to just flat out say it is not a full corn without knowing anything about the snake bothered me too.
You just can't tell for sure from one photograph.

Well just looking at the saddles you can tell, Also the coloration is about what you would expect and if you disagree thats fine but that is IMHO a grey rat hybrid also I own a White Oak grey rat and they have the same exact saddles but if you dont think so fine.

CrazyCorn said:
Well just looking at the saddles you can tell,

Not to propagate this CrazyCorn/CornCrazy banter, but what is it about the saddles that makes them unique to other Corns and or Rat snakes? I've seen such a wide variety of saddle shapes and sizes posted here that it's impossible for me to distinguish what makes these special. Please explain so I may be further educated. ;)

Thanks,
Jason

Corns saddles are more box like than Grey Rats, Grey Rats have fat/distorted x like saddles here are my photos for comparison.

Corn snake (Normal WC)
1143Missy.jpg

Grey Rat (White Oak CB)
1143WOGreyRat.jpg

Heres one of my corns that is similar to a grey rat but not the same and this shows what Aztec/Zig Zag/Motley/Stripe can do.
1143SilverQueen.JPG

Also the scales in that photo seem to have some white tipping with is common of grey Obsoleta and the muddy coloration. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Neumann,

I think that in most cases it is impossible to tell by the saddles. There is too much variation in "pure" corns to be able to say with certainty that that is a hybrid.

Matt...what did you buy the snake as?

If I had to I would bet my money that that is a hybrid since the saddles match up and so does the white tipping on the scales also the grayish background are all common of Obsoleta Spilodes, Rossalleni, Quadrivittata, and kin. more than Guttata but normals can vary, I also have seen this cross before and if looked alot like this one so that also leads me to believe something more than Guttata to be involved, I would like an opinion from Kathy Love since in her book she mentions Grey Rat x Corn mixes.

this is the first snake ive ever had, i saw it, loved it and i brought it for £40 and its worth every penny :p reptiles are so cool, i wasnt told what type of snake it was when i brought it.

its a pet shop in the middle of town, one of those skum shops that are ****, but since this is my first pet i didnt know about ****ty pet shops feeding them nothing to stun their growth.... :/ i didnt think the world was so cruel! but obviously im wrong so now i would never buy from a normal pet shop again :p. But for all you people that are thinking of buying a snake dont pick the one that you feel sorry for cos it lives in a 7-8 inch square box! pick the healthy one from the reputational breeder that lives 20 miles away! also research lots about corn snakes! at first i **** myself about why my snake sudenly got whiteish eyes when it was shedding and stuff like that. you can always research more!

Last edited:
Back