• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My first shed

OzzysMom

It seems there is so much to know and read up on. I didn't come across the humidity requirements until a couple of days ago, and my corn was getting ready shed any day. This is his first shed since I got him. I have been misting the bedding in his enclosure about every other day since I found out about humidity and shedding.

Today, I got home from work and there were just a few flakes of his belly plates in the tank and the smaller tight scales from his head area. I panicked a bit, because I thought I might have been too late bringing the moisture level up in the tank. I grabbed the spray bottle and sprayed the bedding heavier than previously (really moist, but not wet).

As soon as I was finished, out came Ozzy and he started rubbing on every inch of the enclosure. I was so mesmerized by his movements to rid his old skin that I could not walk away for even a moment. He had a bit of a tough time getting the shed started, but he finally shed in one long piece. I was completely enthralled and excited to watch the whole thing. GO OZZY!!

Congrats on the good shed, You may want to look into a moist hide, Basically it's a hide filled with sphagnum moss that moist, that way it creates a tiny little 100% humidty area where he can go to soak in more moisture when needed. I've had one for both my snakes since I got them, and I haven't had any shed problems except for 1 time when I ran out of moss and couldn't find any more for a while.

As sbourget states, a moist hide is a good route to go.
You could also mist the viv once or twice a day during the shed cycle too
I use the moist hide a few times but now my humidity levels are good and my snake have no problem shedding so I don't do anything now.

I will definately get a moist hide. It will probably take me a while to figure out how to maintain a good stable moisture level. I am getting ready to build a larger viv that is 48"x16" (3/16" acrylic), so it will take me a bit to get it established.

Thanks for the advice!

Back