• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My first snake :)

Cornflake514

I've fallen in love with him, and really glad I decided to get a snake :) My mother on the other hand, not so much. lol
The pic isn't that great and ignore that I don't have sheets on my bed, it was laundry day. But here's a pic of him, can someone tell me what morph he is? I'm just wondering.
20242_297273949061_549759061_4837563_6451359_n.jpg

Of course you love him :D congrats on the new addition. LooYou mom will get over it lol. Love that your room is purple! lol Looks like he is a Amelanistic (Amel) Corn snake, but the flash kinda washed him out so a little better pics we could tell you for sure. Where did you get him? Let us know if you have any questions about caring your your little guy :D

Looks very healthy. I personally can't even guess at the morph he is since the flash washed out his coloring.

Oh, and if you ever hold your snake like that (kinda close to the face), make sure you don't have any bleeding in your nose. XD I had a sinus infection last week, and when I started to feel better I held my little female for a bit and while inspecting her for anything wrong, I held her kinda like you did, and she ended up striking and biting my nose. :laugh:

He looks good! The colors are kind of washed out but I feel pretty confident in saying that he looks like an amel.

You caught the bug too?... I think it took me about 10 minutes to be hooked, and another 15 to carefully wind Claudia out of my hair where she had decided to hide.

From what I can see of the pic your lil one looks exactly like her when I first got her and she is a Crimson - which is one of the amel morphs - as I understand it, a okeetee pattern, hold the black/dark colours (although Claudia does show a little black now). Shes got burgundy saddles over an off white background but I think shes gonna end up with alot of yellow background as well - its already showing down her backbone and over the top of her head.

The other one I have is an Anery - he's gonna be the bigger of the two I think - dark grey saddles over a light grey background. Anerytheristics are a morph with the yellow/brown/red bred out of which there are 3 subtypes.

Im a little surprised the person who sold him to you didnt tell you what he was..

anyway, hope you have fun

If it IS an amel like my 2, you're bound to have fun. I have a hatchling and an adult. Tell you mother that they have some of the best temperments I have seen. My hatchling is shy and cautious but sweet. Draco, my big guy, is confident, curious and very well socialized to human contact. Draco has never had a bad day with me and I'm hoping to do reptile outreach with him.

Enjoy your little guy/girl and congrats! Now when is your mother going to get one???

Devon

From what I can see of the pic your lil one looks exactly like her when I first got her and she is a Crimson - which is one of the amel morphs - as I understand it, a okeetee pattern, hold the black/dark colours (although Claudia does show a little black now). Shes got burgundy saddles over an off white background but I think shes gonna end up with alot of yellow background as well - its already showing down her backbone and over the top of her head.

I just want to clarify, and I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all and I hope someone corrects me if I end up being wrong about this information, but a crimson isn't an amel morph - it's a hypo miami. Miamis are just one of the locality corns which usually have very gray backgrounds with little to none of the orange and yellows seen on the other localities or "normal" corns. As for the okeetee pattern, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that, so I may be interpreting you wrong and you could be completely correct. But just some more info - Okeetee is another locality, known for bright orange backgrounds and defined black borders around their saddles (though they have been selectively bred to exaggerate these traits). An okeetee pattern is, in all technicality, that of any other corn (that isn't a motley or stripe) just with different colors. Again, I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, and please correct me if I misinterpreted anything or if my information is just plain wrong!

As for Cornflake514, congrats on your new snake! I'm going to say amel as well, but as some others have said the photo is a bit washed out. Regardless of what he is, he's beautiful and I'm sure you'll love him even more as you watch it grow. :)

all my information was that its covered under the Amel series - but I might be wrong - I know there is one guy who's done a breeding program who covers Crimsons under Amel...

Doesnt really matter that much I guess - still a cutie of an animal :) - myself I love the stripeds but for the moment ive got all the wriggling missiles I can handle. On balance I would have probably done better with a boa or python since they are more laid back and slower than corns - I think one of those might be my next... oh for a bumblebee *sigh*

GillianC was spot on about the Miami/Okeetee being locality based normal cornsnakes. There are Okeetee "phase" corns which has become more of the standard by which Okeetees are judged, if you will. The bright orange and red coloration with very wide black borders and what's called a Reverse Okeetee (which is an amel) that has extremely wide white borders on the orange/red background. Those particular snakes don't necessarily originate from the Okeetee Hunt Club region of Florida. They have been selectively bred for the colour and borders. Crimsons are hypo Miamis. Then there are Candy Canes, which I believe were started by adding amel to the Miami lines to keep the background white while maintaining the orange or red saddles. I guess a Candy Cane could be looked at as an amel Miami in that case. And that concludes today's cornsnake morph lesson, LOL.

I'd say amel or creamsicle, and a very pretty one! (And you're right, Gillian, crimsons are hypo miamis, not amels)

Can we get another shot? It is very washed out but I would say creamsicle or butter from this photo. Tell me is the snake orangey, yellowy or pink and white?

Well, that's a relief - I actually knew what I was talking about. Hahaha Thanks for elaborating more on it, my description was a bit vague.

On balance I would have probably done better with a boa or python since they are more laid back and slower than corns - I think one of those might be my next... oh for a bumblebee *sigh*

I'm with you there! I'd so love a bee...

Well his coloring is a deeper orange than the picture, and sometimes to me looks a little redish but not always. I don't see much yellow, but pics of other corns in the book I bought that look like him said that they usually get yellow with age. All of the morph terms are confusing me a bit lol but I'm sure you get to know more the longer you have snakes. I'll include a few more pics. Oh and someone asked where I got him (I call him a him, but I don't really know lol) I got at a local pet store, I didn't hear about this fourm until after, where I saw a lot of people say you're often better off getting from breeders. I wouldn't relly know where to find a breeder though, or what to look for.
17334_103520116344475_100000594617653_93090_7830302_n.jpg

20242_297186569061_549759061_4836829_4505866_n.jpg
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs175.snc3/20242_259368964061_549759061_4589636_8323109_n.jpg
20242_259368944061_549759061_4589633_1754455_n.jpg

I know these pics aren't all that much better, the real close up of him where he's on my wrist I think is the best picture of him. Oh and to who ever said they like my purple room thanks :)

Oh i have question. I spot clean the cage and then clean it once a month, it doesn't really seem to need it, but I do anyhow. I use aspen for him, and he has a 35 gallon tank. Do you think a month is to little or too often (not that there really is such a thing I'd say)
The book I had didn't really cover cleaning.

Ok those pics are better, I would have to say either a really orange amel or creamsicle. NICE!

About cleaning, with aspen I only spot cleaned every time I noticed something that needed it and did a total clean out once a month. This is to keep the aspen from molding due to humidity which the snake needs. More than once a month seems like over kill and much longer than once a month and you start to see mold. :)

Oh i have question. I spot clean the cage and then clean it once a month, it doesn't really seem to need it, but I do anyhow. I use aspen for him, and he has a 35 gallon tank. Do you think a month is to little or too often (not that there really is such a thing I'd say)
The book I had didn't really cover cleaning.

Once a month is fine. But, being in the 35 gal, do you have lots of plants, plenty of aspen for burrowing, and multiple hides? Most people suggest starting small corns like him in 10gals.

I have 3 hides a climbing stick, two water dishes and pretty deep aspen for him. I got the tank off craigslist it came with a bunch of extras like heating lamps, light bulbs, a under tank heater, some hides, 3 water dishes, a smaller tank for feeding and a stand for the tank all for $100 kinda an offer I couldn't give up.
I have some nicer hides that it came with, but he seems to like his tissue box that I cut the bottom out of best. He isn't really interested in his climbing stick that or hollowed log hide, the only time I really see him up on it is when he's about ready to shed. He doesn't like to go in hos water dishes either like I've heard some corns do. I had some fake plants in there, but they were making a bit of a mess, and he didn't seem to like them much either. I'll have to take a pic of his tank and see what everyone thinks. Do you think he'd maybe like live plants better? I've heard you can put them in there, I just wouldn't know how to go about it, or what kind of plants would be okay to put in there. Advice is very welcome, but he's not much or a climber. He does like to hide and sneak around though especially when people are around, so maybe now that he is a bit older I can try some plants again.

Back