• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My first snakes first shed

Cornflake514

Well I got my first corn snake a few months back, he just had his second shed yesterday. I have a pic of him right after his first one. It's not the best but I don't have to many and ignor the fact that my sheets aren't on it was laundry day lol.
I'm still not sure what morph he is so if anyone knows, please let me know. I'm kinda curious.
He's doing well, I was a bit nervous about getting a snake 'cause I didn't know to much about them, but I bought a book, did a lot of research and he seems to be doing well. :)

I do have one question though I don't know if anyone can give me some advice. When I feed him, I take him out of his cage, and feed him in a smaller tank, he eats without any problems. But lately like the last 3 or 4 times I feed him, he is very nippy after. The first time he did it I thought it was 'cause I didn't let him be in the feeder tank for 10-15mins like I usually do 'cause I was in a bit of a rush. So I made sure to leave him in there and let him calm down the following times, but he still bites me when I try and pick him up. I've been doing it with gloves.
He never bites any other time just during the feeding. The only thing I can think of is maybe he is still hungry and I should up his feeding? I feed him weekly. Is there a way to break him of the habit?
20242_297273949061_549759061_4837563_6451359_n.jpg

I personally move my corn as soon as she starts moving around after eating. And, a few feedings after I got her she started to get jumpy and excited whenever she went in her card board shoe box I use. It's normal.
My brother does the same thing with his ball python: she's very relaxed normally, but as soon as she is in her feed box (or wherever he feeds the snake) she gets aggressive and strikes anything that is near her.

Also, a little bite from a corn like him doesn't hurt. It tickles.

If you are feeding him with the pinkie in your hands then that is probably the reason. They'll be in eating mode for a while after they eat - which explains why after they've gotten the food into their belly and its all nice and comfortable they get energetic... 10-15 minutes is about average for the time it takes them to realise more food is not forthcoming. I usually feed mine separately - in my hand - and when they start to get wriggly I gently put them back in the vivarium.

If he sees something vaguely mouse shaped, mouse coloured and mouse sized (the tip of a female finger is about right) that smells of mouse - its mouse & therefore food. Hence you get chewed on. Claudia did that to me once already and to be honest I felt less from getting munched on than I do from when she curls up on my glasses and I get a snake tongue in my ear... If I hadnt seen her do it I wouldnt have known. I got a very reproachful look when she realised I wasnt food though.

Adult snakes - you'll know you've been latched onto & they can draw blood - but the little ones its just sorta cute.

When my snakes are done eating, I gently pour them out of the tank into my hand. They have a lot less of a problem with gravity then they do with this enormous big thing coming in and grabbing them after they've eaten!

Devon

He's biting after you feed him because he's still really excited about eating, and he can still smell the mouse. It's not really a "habit" that you can break because it's just his instincts kicking in. Snakes are usually excitable and nippy for a little while after they eat. If your feeding container fits in his normal viv you can just set it in there after he finishes and let him leave of his own accord. You can also try lining the feeding tank with a layer of strong paper towels to use like a sling for "air lifting" him out and into his viv when he finishes eating - just support his body from underneath and obviously be careful not to drop him or let him wriggle out of the sides. If neither of those ideas work for you then it's perfectly fine to use a glove to transport him if it makes you more comfortable - the bites don't hurt but they can be startling.

Also, since he's just a baby you can feed him every 5 days to help him grow - once a week is more of a maintenance diet. Look up the Munson plan (if you haven't already!) because it's a great guide for feeding. :)

It's hard to tell if he's an amel or a creamsicle, but he is very nice!
Some corns are just more excitable about food (I've got an adult granite I have to fend off with the lid of her feeding tub to prevent a bite, the advice about using a tub small enough to just set in the viv is good.

Mine are around that size, and I've been using a wooden dowel to lift them out of the feeding tub. Kismet really seems keen to climb up anything offered to her, but it's a little harder with Pierce. Still, it lets them control how their body sits (I'm afraid I'm going to make the pinkie-bulge uncomfortable) and it keeps your fingers safe.

Wouldn't recommend on larger corns, though, since they'd have more body to support.

very nice snake!

I thought I read if you feed snakes with your hands they can become agressive around your hands (obviously not good if you want to touch it).

can anyone with some experiance comment on this?

I don't know if it makes them aggressive, but feeding your snake in your hands is not recommended. They should be placed in a separate bin and left in peace. Some people do feed right in the viv (such as those who have tons of snakes), but you'd have to make sure the snake wouldn't ingest any bedding by placing the mouse on paper towel, a rock or whatever.

Back