• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My hypolavender?

bearpaw71

Hi,
I'm Laura, from Eastern N.C. My husband and I found what we are pretty sure, is a corn snake. In fact, I think it is a hypolavender corn. I am not sure how old it is but I know that we have had him/her for about 3 months and has shed twice that I know of. Our corns favorite thing to eat, are treefrogs. We have a multitude of them around here. I hope you don't mind me posting these pics. I just would like to have some expertise on this matter. I love the way the forum is set up and if I truly have a cornsnake, I would love to stay a member. Thanks in advance, Laura

Attachments

• corner3.jpg
    corner3.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 214
One more pic. different angle

I wanted to add one more pic. to show more body and length.
Thanks! Any advice or comments are appreciated.

Laura

Attachments

• corner2.jpg
    corner2.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 202
Hello Laura,
Although I do not know what kind of snake that is, it does not appear to be a corn snake. If you were to find a corn snake, you'd most likely find a normal colored one. The "fancy" morphs, such as hypo lavender are captive bred by breeders. Not to say one couldn't escape and someone else may find it, but the chances of that happening are very slim.

I'm sure someone here can ID your snake. I'd have to do some serious searching on the Net before I could even guess.

Traci

I agree with Traci. I don't konw what kind of snake that is but it doesn't look like a corn snake nor does it look like a hypo lavender~~

Some other people with more knowledge than me would be able to tell you what kind of snake that is but, I am pretty sure that its not a corn~

I'm completely at a loss. I have spent the last hour and a half scouring websites dedicated to North Carolina Herps, and I cant find anything even remotely close.... I really hope someone solves this one soon, as it's driving me absolutely insane.

Two things I know for sure though...

1) It's not a Corn.
2) It doesn't matter that it's not a Corn, cause it's beautiful!

Jason

My first guess would be a red-bellied water snake, but having never seen a juvenile, I'm just guessing. Definitely not a corn snake, for sure.

water snake

It is a water snake
some form of nerodia
my guess would be a midland water snake (nerodia s. pleuralis)
sub species of the northern water snake (nerodia sipedon)

Not a hypo lavender of that I'm convinced! I'd agree with the others here and say not a corn snake either.....

Here's one of my hypo lavenders to give you an idea

Attachments

• hypolav2.jpg
    hypolav2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 85
Thank you everyone

Just wanted to thank everyone who replied to my post. I still am unsure but did look up the Midland watersnake and it appears to resemble it a whole lot. Hate to have a stinky snake for a pet though! Anybody know if they make good pets?

Well, what's it been like the past 3 months you've had it?

Most water snakes tend to be very defensive and will bite and musk readily when handled, however, I've also seen a couple water snakes that when obtained at a young age, like yours, calm down quite well and become nice captives.

If this snake has already calmed down, then you are pretty much set, except for the feeding part. Providing treefrogs may be okay for now, while they are available, but what about in the winter, when you won't be able to find any?

If you intend to keep it, I suggest you try to switch it to a different prey item ASAP. What I would suggest is get an appropriately sized frozen/thawed mouse and try to wash all mouse scent off of it. Then rub a treefrog all over a mouse to make the snake think that it is eating a treefrog instead of a mouse. If it takes it, next time you may be able to just feed an unscented mouse.

Another prey item they usually love are fish. But you have to be careful when feeding fish, because snakes can get a vitamin b deficiency by ingesting too much thiaminase (by eating the wrong types of fish). If it will eat fish, you can try to scent a mouse with fish the same way I spoke of with the frog.

For reference, here is a link stating which fish do and do not contain thiaminase (you would want to feed fish that don't contain thiaminase):
http://books.nap.edu/books/030903325X/html/64.html#pagetop

Rodent diets are usually considered the most nutritious meal for most captive snakes, if you can get them to eat mice/rats that is.

Eastern NC

woohoo!!!!!!!

that's awesome, it's good to see some people from my neck of the woods on here. In fact i'm in school at ECU right now. Anywho, yeah i'm gonna have to agree with everyone on it looking like a watersnake. I've just got into housing herps in jan, but i recognize it from when i was a kid. Never been bit by a watersnake but i believe i rather take the bite than the musk.

Thanks So

I need all the help I can get figuring out what he is. I do know one thing, He really is very vivid in color as compared to the water snakes I've seen. All of the water snakes I've seen, have spots or markings all over the belly. My snake is very plane on his belly. He is orange solid underneath. Thanks again. Would appreciate any other help.

Laura

found your snakes type????

i've been looking around and came across this site- Pierson Hill Herpetology and Herpetoculture.the addy pops up as this

www.davidson.edu/personal/pihill/Pierson%Hill/Home/Home.htm

if you go to collection then to red belly water snake i think that you will find yours.
it also looks like a midland
if thats not it i would try finding pix on kingsnake.com under water snakes with the word image behind it.

the hosptial just called my husbands there

Back