• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My Jungle Carpet Python

loud

Recently took some new pictures of my baby Jungle Carpet Python, and thought I'd share them here! Love the new subforum!

This is my very first snake, and I picked him up at an expo back in January. He's still a little guy, despite being almost a year old, but he's growing at a steady rate and looking better with each shed!! I absolutely love him and will have more JCPs in the future for sure.

14276971039_567da01e1c_z.jpg

14483770093_b661cfdd59_z.jpg

14462249932_175256180c_z.jpg

I'd been trying to catch some good shots of him yawning for the longest time, and was very happy to finally get this series of "yawning" pictures!!
14277022318_5490b06e4d_z.jpg

14462249352_b359199042_z.jpg

14277021898_cfa5c9c584_z.jpg

He ended up deciding to just chill in my hands like this, so while he stayed still, I walked around and took pictures of him against different backgrounds LOL
14440503576_39d071af0e_z.jpg

14460251061_0ee5074261_z.jpg

Switched lenses to get some closer pictures (though not by much)
14277019198_51fe29bd52_z.jpg

14277019578_75609ac66e_z.jpg

14483766203_32d109b2ce_z.jpg

14276993400_e98f8c4b95_z.jpg

14460279451_1fb6a69977_z.jpg

14277048708_420c7bb5be_z.jpg

14440531186_d790984c80_z.jpg

Funny dude
14322794297_acf3f89e0f_z.jpg

14322791577_44bc3532a2_z.jpg

14322583120_c93d9cd3f7_z.jpg

After we unboxed our new arrival yesterday (my first corn snake), I got ready to feed him.

"Food?"
14529392123_d1c7a23fd0_z.jpg

I told him he had a new brother in the neighboring tub. He wasn't sure what to think
14322689558_8537ec47d9_z.jpg

14505883511_a7e7dbba4c_z.jpg

14505882101_a39d29cb71_z.jpg

14322825047_3029d04b0e_z.jpg

He did get his rat, though!
14322643068_b99d90bb75_z.jpg

Thank for looking : )

I've told you this before, but dang, he's gorgeous!

Haha I have to agree!! This is the reason why I initially shrugged and said "screw it, if I get a JCP with an awful temperament, at least he'll be pretty!!". Luckily he's nice enough in temperament as well!

Fantastic photos. He's very pretty, I love the colors on him.

Thank you! He's turning out really, really nice and I'm looking forward to seeing him as an adult.

Very pretty!
I know a number of great Carpet Python breeders, for any kind of Carpet you would be looking for.

Ironic much with the bumblebee colors and flower backdrops?!?!? :) But, seriously, some great shots you had there.

I'm just getting into trying to take better pics, and while I don't have a DSLR or anything or expensive lenses, I'm just curious as to what types of settings you used on the camera here if any.

Also, how big are jungles as hatchlings, and what is average length/weight reached as sub adult/adult? Just curious as they are on my list for when my son gets older.

Seems like yours has a very good temperament.

Um, wow, your photos are amazing. Do you brighten them up after you take them, or how do you get them so brightly colored? The yawning pictures are really fantastic.

Really cute little guy. I would love to get a jungle carpet sometime in the future.

Very pretty!
I know a number of great Carpet Python breeders, for any kind of Carpet you would be looking for.

Thanks!! I'm incredibly happy with this guy's breeder (Nick Mutton/Inland Reptile) and will probably be going back to him for my future JCPs. Great guy to work with and I love all his snakes! Him and Headhunter Reptiles are at the top of my list :)

Ironic much with the bumblebee colors and flower backdrops?!?!? :) But, seriously, some great shots you had there.

I'm just getting into trying to take better pics, and while I don't have a DSLR or anything or expensive lenses, I'm just curious as to what types of settings you used on the camera here if any.

Also, how big are jungles as hatchlings, and what is average length/weight reached as sub adult/adult? Just curious as they are on my list for when my son gets older.

Seems like yours has a very good temperament.

Haha, didn't even make that connection between the coloring and the flowers!! Well, if I ever get a bumblebee Ball Python, I know what I'm doing for pictures!

And thanks for the kind words! I'd have to check regarding settings because I'm constantly changing it, depending on what direction I'm facing and what the snake's doing. When he's all coiled or wrapped up, I can get away with a shallower depth of field (lower f-stop number) but when he's stretched out I usually bump down the aperture (higher f-stop number). I shoot in manual so I pick the aperture and shutter speed.

I'll upload these to my Flickr page so you can check out each individual picture for the settings later :) As far as better pictures go though, I've found that lighting and the background and composition are equally important, if not more so! I'm still new at this myself, so I have a lot left to learn!!

JCP babies are pretty tiny, though definitely not as small as a hatchling corn! I wish I had weighed mine when I first got him, but here he is when I picked him up, at ~6 to 7 months of age. He's on the smaller side because the breeder had him growing slow. Hatchlings are about the girth of a pencil, I've heard.

(gloves were for the cold, not because he was biting!)
13189397115_94529c1ed2_z.jpg

13189774194_1c6da96d2b_z.jpg

I also just did a search on JCP hatchlings, and if you check out this video of carpet python hatchlings being fed, you can get a pretty good feel for their average size

Adults are usually around 5-6' though I know of quite a few females that are 6-7' (and even past that sometimes). They're hefty snakes, but still on the slimmer side compared to other pythons. Definitely won't reach the girth you see on adult Ball Pythons and short tailed pythons, so between their size and weight they're pretty manageable!

Overall I really, really love them. Active, curious, hardy, and absolutely beautiful to look at. They can start off as nippy babies but usually calm down as adults. The nearby exotics store has one that they take out for kids and customers to pet, and he's a docile sweetheart. Mine is very nice, too, and his temperament has only improved from when I first got him!

Um, wow, your photos are amazing. Do you brighten them up after you take them, or how do you get them so brightly colored? The yawning pictures are really fantastic.

Really cute little guy. I would love to get a jungle carpet sometime in the future.

Thank you so much!! Really appreciate it. And oh yes, I absolutely did post process these. I also shoot in RAW, which means that if I uploaded straight out of the camera and converted to JPEG, the pictures would come out very dull and flat. I enjoy the editing process, so I do some touching up on almost every picture I take!

I kind of did the whole thing backwards with getting a JCP first and a corn snake second, but so happy that I did. He's got all of the good I've heard about JCPs, and essentially none of the bad! Fantastic snakes.

Nick and Chris Koeppel are friends of mine. :)
I went to highschool with Nick. Those are both great sources for Carpet Pythons!
I have a number of Morelia from Nick.

If I recall correctly, I think most Carpets hatch out about 20-30-ish grams, give or take.
Adult size varies. I know the average for breeding size female is minimum 1500 grams. I've hear of some Jungles being about 6000 grams.
I see a number of over size Carpet Pythons.

A friend of mine recently lost a male Jungle that appeared to have been power fed. When the snake was cut open, there was an excessive amount of fat.
I take my time in growing mine up. I want them around for the lifespan they should be living. 20 years should not be uncommon.

Be careful of Nick, though. He is one of the worst enablers I know. LOL

Nick and Chris Koeppel are friends of mine. :)
I went to highschool with Nick. Those are both great sources for Carpet Pythons!
I have a number of Morelia from Nick.

If I recall correctly, I think most Carpets hatch out about 20-30-ish grams, give or take.
Adult size varies. I know the average for breeding size female is minimum 1500 grams. I've hear of some Jungles being about 6000 grams.
I see a number of over size Carpet Pythons.

A friend of mine recently lost a male Jungle that appeared to have been power fed. When the snake was cut open, there was an excessive amount of fat.
I take my time in growing mine up. I want them around for the lifespan they should be living. 20 years should not be uncommon.

Be careful of Nick, though. He is one of the worst enablers I know. LOL

Oh very cool!! Did just notice that you are in Washington - do you usually go to the Portland expos (in August and January)? True about Nick... I find myself looking at his website frequently. Every time I see a nice pairing I go a little bit crazy. I know I'll end up with a few more from him eventually!! LOL even when I was picking up my JCP from him at the expo, he tried to get me to take a Ball Python, too (knowing that I was going to get a BP originally). Almost said yes but just didn't have an enclosure ready!

I'm hoping mine lives to be 20+ years :) Was very happy (and surprised!) hearing the lifespan of a healthy snake for the first time. And yes, while I can't wait for mine to reach adult size, I am definitely going to err on the side of safety! Was not bothered seeing bigger JCPs than mine at the same age... better to see it growing slow and steady than too rapidly. I'm going to hang on to this guy for the rest of his life, and I hope that's going to be a very, very long time!

I have been to a few of the Portland shows. It's a 4hr drive for me though, and I can only go if I'm on vacation or happen to get a day off. I normally work weekends.
I was at the January show.
Howard Redding of Redding Reptile Breeders was with me at the last January show.

I'd love to vend some shows, at some point, but I need to have set days off on weekends to be able to book them.

I have been to a few of the Portland shows. It's a 4hr drive for me though, and I can only go if I'm on vacation or happen to get a day off. I normally work weekends.
I was at the January show.
Howard Redding of Redding Reptile Breeders was with me at the last January show.

I'd love to vend some shows, at some point, but I need to have set days off on weekends to be able to book them.

Oh yeah, with the drive being that long it's absolutely understandable. Bummer about working on weekends though - I used to work on Saturdays (and still do occasionally) and wasn't a fan. All the things I want to do are always on weekends!

The expo in January was my first reptile expo! It was a pretty cool experience and awesome to see how many people were there. Had a tough time not just buying everything!! I don't know how anyone leaves an expo empty handed...

OMG he's adorable! I want sooooooo bad!

Thank you! I've always thought it was so odd that there are people out there terrified of all snakes - a lot of them just look so stinking cute to me!

You should get one! JCPs are such great snakes - hardy and active like a corn snake, less escape prone (but very inquisitive), and make awesome display snakes because they're always perched somewhere. Love them!!

He is stunning

Thank you! I'm so happy with him, though the breeder gets the credit for how great he's turning out :D

I've made it out of a couple expos empty handed. Actually I didn't pick up anything at that Portland Expo, but the last one I went to in Renton, I had no plans on bringing anything home, but I ended up with three more Carpet pythons. LOL

A Zebra from Nick, a striped Jungle from Ed Lilley, and a Tiger Coastal from Nick's friend, Mark. LOL

Those are REALLY good photos...what camera do you have? Beautiful snake.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

I've made it out of a couple expos empty handed. Actually I didn't pick up anything at that Portland Expo, but the last one I went to in Renton, I had no plans on bringing anything home, but I ended up with three more Carpet pythons. LOL

A Zebra from Nick, a striped Jungle from Ed Lilley, and a Tiger Coastal from Nick's friend, Mark. LOL

Very, very cool!! I hope to have a zebra one day, love the way they look. Would be hard to pass up on any of those fantastic snakes! Unfortunately (...or is it "luckily"?) I'm broke so I think I can resist bringing home another at the August expo. Though at this point, who knows!

Those are REALLY good photos...what camera do you have? Beautiful snake.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! I'm using a Nikon D7000 with either a 50mm f/1.8 lens or the 18-105mm kit lens :)

He gorgeous, and you take really great photos of him. That third "yawning" pic is really great.

Awesome pics and a beautiful snake. I had one and she was the size of a pencil when I bought her. She was nippy from the get go though and while I was able to handle her, no one else could and she did land one good tag on me that left me a nasty bruise and bled a lot.

Back