• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My New Coral Ghost

acetone

Finally my girlfriend and I got our corn snake! It's a little Coral Ghost we picked up at the breeder expo (Canadian Reptile Breeder Expo) from The Urban Reptile. They only recently began working with Strawberry and I don't think it's very common yet in Canada. We grabbed the pinkest one they had :D.

Here some pictures of him in his deli dish:

(pictures are kinda big)
I'll get some more pictures of him in his cage if he decides to come out but right now he's hiding in a plant in the viv.

Nice man...I love Coral Ghosts...a favorite of mine. You are really going to enjoy watching him grow and color up...

Thanks guys! :D Yeah, I can't wait for his colours to start filling in.

The Expo was awesome saw some incredible animals. Dangerous to my wallet though, I wanted to buy one of everything.

I went to the show too, first time for me on a reptile show. was a lot of fun.

Only wished I could have gone there with money in my pocket, would have loved a nice little corn snake like that. :p

Very nice little coral ghost, they are one of my favorite morphs. We brought up a few from JMG Reptiles before he sold his collection (to Dave Partington) and I LOVE them, we have some crazy pink kids growing up and in the breeding collection. You should check though with Urban Reptile and see which line yours originate from, I was actually talking with Dave the other night and we were discussing that he has been testing the line further and from his testing he has found that they in fact do NOT carry the strawberry gene, so just a heads up for future marketing ;)

Very nice little coral ghost, they are one of my favorite morphs. We brought up a few from JMG Reptiles before he sold his collection (to Dave Partington) and I LOVE them, we have some crazy pink kids growing up and in the breeding collection. You should check though with Urban Reptile and see which line yours originate from, I was actually talking with Dave the other night and we were discussing that he has been testing the line further and from his testing he has found that they in fact do NOT carry the strawberry gene, so just a heads up for future marketing ;)

Hey! Thanks a lot. :)

When I bought him the breeder told me it was in fact the strawberry gene that they just started working with. I will send them an email and ask what line they are working with just to make sure. If it wasnt actually the strawberry gene what would it be?

The JMG line is, from what Dave told me, just hypo. Jeff Sr did some great work to selectively breed the pink. It could be a trait rather than a gene, I'm sure a few others that have been working with the lines longer could chime in and explain it a bit better (I personally dislike the whole "trait" thing that so many of these morphs have going on LOL, not that the snakes care what my opinion is though).
Having outcrossed my pure JMG male to an unrelated Ghost female almost every baby did color up eventually to a gorgeous pink, some more than others. From those babies I held back quite a few to make Coral Ghost Motleys, we produced a few of them this year, they are around a month old right now and the one male is screaming pink. I did cross the het motley male back into a pure but very low color JMG female and got the bright pink babies.
It's unfortunate that shipping across Canada is so expensive or I'm sure the selection across Canada would be much different. In Alberta we kind of lump together with SK and BC and out in Ontario you guys pair up with the Quebec folks and it's like we are in 2 separate snake worlds. I didn't even know that Urban Reptile was working with corns! Last I knew it didn't look like they were but we all know how fast things change.

The JMG line is, from what Dave told me, just hypo. Jeff Sr did some great work to selectively breed the pink. It could be a trait rather than a gene, I'm sure a few others that have been working with the lines longer could chime in and explain it a bit better (I personally dislike the whole "trait" thing that so many of these morphs have going on LOL, not that the snakes care what my opinion is though).
Having outcrossed my pure JMG male to an unrelated Ghost female almost every baby did color up eventually to a gorgeous pink, some more than others. From those babies I held back quite a few to make Coral Ghost Motleys, we produced a few of them this year, they are around a month old right now and the one male is screaming pink. I did cross the het motley male back into a pure but very low color JMG female and got the bright pink babies.
It's unfortunate that shipping across Canada is so expensive or I'm sure the selection across Canada would be much different. In Alberta we kind of lump together with SK and BC and out in Ontario you guys pair up with the Quebec folks and it's like we are in 2 separate snake worlds. I didn't even know that Urban Reptile was working with corns! Last I knew it didn't look like they were but we all know how fast things change.

Ohhh, right I got you now.

I agree about cost for shipping snakes across Canada. Wish it were cheaper but we live in such a huge country. :p Also wish it was easier and cheaper to get snakes up here from the states.

When I was going to the snake show I was scared there was not going to be many vendors selling corns because I was going through the vendor sites and they didn't have corns listed as available. Even Urban Reptiles doesn't have them listed on their site. But it turned out they had the largest amount of babies for sale! There weren't that many vendors selling them relative to pythons but the selection was good (IMO).

Hey! Thanks a lot. :)

When I bought him the breeder told me it was in fact the strawberry gene that they just started working with. I will send them an email and ask what line they are working with just to make sure. If it wasnt actually the strawberry gene what would it be?

something of a vague explanation here, and why, IF your snake is of pure JMG lineage, it is not strawberry. http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1601876&postcount=358
If your snake is indeed of JMG lineage, perhaps the breeder may have learned elsewhere, not from JMG, that 'strawberry was the cause', and believed it. A lot of that has gone on.

So. What is it then?
It has to do with classic/locality ground color+selective line breeding spanning generations. Hypos (plural) are 'players'. As well as a couple/three/maybe 4 traits playing around in there. Not all hatchlings from CG x CG will color up, due to the trait factor. Suffice it to say, odds are significantly increased in one's favor if one uses high color-saturation stock for production.

Ironically, pink was never the target color for coral ghosts.
Though I have several pink ones and like them just as much.
Hope this helps. Looks like your lil CG will color up quite well. Good looking snake you have there. You did well.
Thanks for sharing.

Back