• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My new corn!

kingjames488

Hello everyone.

I just got my first corn snake today!
I was actually after something a little darker, but there weren't any where i went and I really liked this guys patterns the second I saw him.
Am still thinking of a name..
I'm crap with names tho so feel free to make suggestions :p

Here's pics I took while he was sitting still (just after I put him in). a couple mins later he moved up into the plant on the right and is curled up in there atm. odd... everything i read says they don't climb much but it seems most people say theirs likes to climb.

img0093n.jpg

img0091t.jpg

img0084.jpg

img0087t.jpg

He was labeled as an "albino corn", so I'm guessing that's an amel?

Also, when I tried to move him from his container i got him in to his new home I swear he started rattling at me :crying: corns cant rattle can they? do they shake their tails when their angry/afraid? maybe it was hitting on the container...

P.S. If you guys like my pics, I'm sure I can snap a ton more :D

Oh yeah, corns rattle their tails when surprised or upset, some do it at the drop of a hat, no biggie really.

So cute! Yup, looks like an amel to me. Very nice enclosure, by the way! I love how natural it looks.

And as far as climbing goes, it all depends on the snake. Corn snakes are not arboreal by nature, but that doesn't mean that ALL of them won't climb. I have one that's all over his cage and climbing pretty frequently, and others that don't.

Ohh yes, corns can tail-rattle. It's pretty much their way of saying, "Don't bother me." A bit of handling (after the settle-in time) should clear him/her of that. Cute little one. Names aren't my strong point either, so good luck on that.

thanks guys :)
seeing as I only have one snake atm, I wanted to put some effort into getting together a good looking enclosure to put him in. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out :)

Will he keep those almost golden colors in spots as he gets older, or will they darken into yellow or something?

The golden spots will likely blend in with his base color, which will turn more orange with time. The white around his saddles will turn more solid, as opposed to slightly opaque. Here's a photo of my amel when he was young, and what he looks like now.
charlie.jpg

SANY2131.jpg

Amels go through a nice bit of color change as they mature...he's a looker now, and will only look better with age:)

And yes, his tail was hitting the container...there's nothing built-in that makes that sound.

ooo
thanks for posting those pics, and a nice snake too :)
he looks like he got lighter, isn't it usually the other way around?

Very nice setup & a pretty little amel! My female phantom used to rattle her tail all the time but now only does it occasionally. She would do it a lot when being put into her feeding tub once she'd struck at the pinky, kind of like saying "Go away! It's MINE!"

Very cool viv set up. We have an adult who still rattles his tail if you look at him while he's eating.

hehe... ya he's still pretty small.
I was super dumb tho and didn't find out exactly how old he is... any guesses?
I'll have to give the shop a call before they get rid of any records.

he seems to just love curling up in the big fake plant, or wrapping himself around some part of it for a while :p

I can't tell if that corn is super small or the viv is really big. If he's in a ten gal, I'd say he's literally a hatchling. 20gal.. then maybe a few weeks.

Oh, and you should also get another similar hide on the other side of his viv. That way he won't hide on that side all the time when he needs to be on the other side.

you can't see it that well in the pic, but there's a half log type hide on that side.
I'll prolly move the plant on that side down a bit too, since he seems to like them so much :p

Ah. Keep an eye and make sure he regulates his temp. My corn, no matter where it was, would not leave a certain hide. I had to take it out and make two similar hides for her.

I think he's starting to get a little more used to his new home.
I took him out for a little bit and since i put him back (about half an hour now) he's been slithering all over the place, last couple times he just went back to his fake plant and curled up in it :p maybe hes trying to escape now... lol

He must still be just a baby, he sometimes flips himself over a bit when he tries to turn around :p (hopefully that's why... not some sort of illness :S)

also, It almost seems like he had a darker spot in him in certin light.
could it be a partially digested pinky I'm seeing cuz he's such a light color?
apparently he was last feed on Thursday (3 days ago)

If it was 3 days ago, I'd say it's probably poo by now :3 That's one thing I love about my amel; I can always tell when NOT to hold him xD

Oh ya... forgot to ask yall...

Is it a good idea to give your snake a "bath" every so often?
I was thinking it might at least be a good idea to at least wash/wipe down my snake once to get off any crap that may have gotten stuck to it in the store. (doubt they had time to care for it perfectly, tho it didn't look too bad there)

I hear they will soak themselves in their water sometimes, but I'd imagine that's more for moisture then to keep clean.

I can't tell if that corn is super small or the viv is really big. If he's in a ten gal, I'd say he's literally a hatchling. 20gal.. then maybe a few weeks.

I think the snake is in a 20, it is just too big for a 10 :)

Also you really can't go by size with petshop corns. When I got my 09 darkling (some kind of anery) he was about that size but they said they had him for 3 months. They were feeding when they thought about it. Wish I could have taken all of them home but the shop would have just gotten more :awcrap:

Back