• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My new hobby

SWINGRRRR

I need/want a 'Cane
Aside from cars, trucks, computers, snakes, guns, and electronics, I decided to complicate my life even more. I bought a 65 gal tank off CL for very cheap. I then refinished the stand, and built the hood. I am not going to post a ton of pics, but here is how it sits tonight. I got it drilled today, and have the plumbing semi done. I will hopefully be getting it wet on Wednesday. If theres any interest Ill update the thread when I have pics.
Fish004.jpg

tricksterpup said:
Now if you wanted to turn that into a money pit.. turn that into a reef tank. :grin01:
Yeah I meant to put that at the end. I plan to do a FOWLR. No corals, so not a true reef. Just alot rocks, and sand, and fish, and snails, and crabs, and shrimps. Dont have an exact stock list picked out, just trying to get it wet first. I am picking up some LR on WED. A guy on CL has some for $3/lb. Hes selling his 135 to go FW.

SWINGRRRR said:
Yeah I meant to put that at the end. I plan to do a FOWLR. No corals, so not a true reef. Just alot rocks, and sand, and fish, and snails, and crabs, and shrimps. Dont have an exact stock list picked out, just trying to get it wet first. I am picking up some LR on WED. A guy on CL has some for $3/lb. Hes selling his 135 to go FW.
Oh just go with a low light reef tank, go with mushrooms and other low light corals. Come on.. all the cool kids are doing them.

In my opinion, you limit yourself fish wise when you got to corals. I don't want things eating other things. Especially when those other things are $15-$40 a pop. I know everyone has there own opinion on water keeping, I just want to have mainly a fish tank, with fishy, oddly enough.
If I ever do SPS, or LPS, I will make it a dedicated tank.

What is FOW? I used to have a tank with live rock- it was really, really fun.

Nanci

Nanci said:
What is FOW? I used to have a tank with live rock- it was really, really fun.

FOWLR = Fish Only With Live Rock. The new preferred method for marine tanks composed mostly of fish. The live rock balances the tank better than a fish only SW system would.

I would be cautious about incorporating inverts like crabs and shrimp into a true FOWLR tank. In a reef tank, they can take care of themselves and find their own food. In a FOWLR tank, they will need feeding, most likely, so make sure you count them as "stock," as opposed to just a clean-up crew.

I have been planning a reef tank for 18 months now. I am slowly assembling the equipment that I need over time... and reading as much as I humanly can. I've been a FW junky for 16 years now, so this marine stuff is rather scary... stepping outside my comfort zone and all. ;) Good luck to you.

I've always loved Sw and FW tanks, but never did anything other then FW. I was always worried about doing something wrong and killing off all the fish and some of them can be quite expensive. I'd love to see pictures of yours as you go through the stages though!

Great job on that lid too... looks great!

Jenn

Its been awhile, but its plumbed for now. I ended up going with the Mag 9.5 for return. I am going to use the QO3K for a CL. I had it running for a couple of hours tonight just to dry fit the PVC. The LFS has LR coming on Tues or Wed and I plan to be at the shop. I also ordered the Euro-Reef CS80 today.
Plumbed. Do not mind the clout, it will clear with a new sock.
Fish014.jpg

Some of the MMLR I have been working on.
Fish001-2.jpg

Drilled RR. Bring on the Rics.
Fish002.jpg

Wow, no kidding! I got live rock and local fish shop- but what is MMLR?

I can't wait to see it when the fish and LR are in and growing.

Nanci

The Mag 9.5 is just the company name, Mag Drive(return pump)
QO3K= Company name and model, Quite One 3000(CL pump)
CL= Closed Loop, common term, fish store employee should know that
PVC=Pipe
LFS=Local Fish Store(shop)
LR= Live Rock
MMLR= Man made live rock. Its a new swing in the hobby. Making your own rock, then you just seed it with a couple of pounds of real LR.
RR= Reef Ready. Again a common hobby term. Most tanks use an overflow(water runs over the back and into a box.) Reef readies are drilled through the glass and piped to the sump below.
Rics= Ricordea Common Mushroom coral. Very hardy and easy to care for.

Corn- if you only going to bash my thread please stay out. For working in a fish store, you dont know much at all. I have only been doing this for 2 months, and its all standard stuff.

SWINGRRRR said:
Corn- if you only going to bash my thread please stay out. For working in a fish store, you dont know much at all. I have only been doing this for 2 months, and its all standard stuff.

I think Jenn worked at Petco or Petsmart...She's not bashing your thread, just saying she really didn't know. That's my interpretation, anyway.

Nanci

Back