• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My New Snake

sidthecornsnake

i baught a corn snake of sum guy that was getting rid of it and 1 he got loose in the car on the way home and he bit me and i got yellow stuff all ova my hands when i got him out the car not sure wat it was ,and 2 he wont let me handle him at all go any were near and he goes for me and his tail rattles like mad any idea's he proberly just unsettled but im not sure ,he is just stayin in his little hiding spot hasnt moved in 2 days

Welcome. How big is the snake?
The yellow "stuff" was probabily musk, did it smell?
Sounds like the previous owner didn't handle the snake very much.
:cheers:

hes about 3 1/2 foot
yeh it smelt realy bad what is it like ,sorry this is the first snake iv had but my brother has a 6foot bower constructer or sumthing like that ,it just stays in his hide box all the time with his head stickin out the guy i got it off said it hasnt shedded in a while so it might be that just have to wait and see what happens

Musk in snakes is similar to like what a skunk does. They use it as a defense in hopes that whatever grabbed them will put them down. If that doesn't work for them they may bite. Corns don't musk that often in my experience.
Perhaps your snake was a wild caught or just not handled much. At 3.5' it may be tuff to try to "tame" him, but it is possible. Of course if he is starting a shed cycle, that could be the whole problem. Does he look dull and milky?
Corns are a forgiving lot and rarely bite unless they are afraid.
Good luck and keep us updated on his behavior :cheers:

he seems to be behaving ok now he is abit snappy when i got him out for the fist time but once he was out it was fine ,and now he will come out alright but he's away like a shot if i leave go ov him :sidestep: lol

oh yeh and he november rain came on and he was well mellow just lying there on my leg perfectly still then my mam put rod stuwart on and he got real cranky lol atleast he has good taste in music

Yeah that's cool, I think they can "feel" the bass. Mine all come out if I have something like Savatage or Maiden cranking! :cheers:

LOL...I get the same way when I hear Rod Stuart. Hey, we would like to see some pics of your new family member :) Have you picked a name yet??

ROFLMAO!! Good to hear that Rod Stewart has a similar effect on most everyone here. Nothing like a hack to get everybody nippy and cranky.

Now I'm gonna have to try the Boz Scaggs "Standards" CD on my corns to see if they understand the difference between that and the "Great American Songbook".

Did I mention the term "hack"? ;)

regards,
jazz

Lest I get accused of thread hijacking....

Welcome to the forums, sid!

Mike's advice here is very sound. Probably a case of the snake not being handled when it was younger.

regards,
jazz

Back