• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My new snakes pics.. comment on my questions plz

Caldwell8792

Well here is my snake, but here are my questions

Can you handle them to much?

Will friends be able to come over and be able to handle the snake without a problem?

How is his cage?

How is the lighting fixture?

Are there any CERTAIN things we need for his cage. We have a pretty nice hiding spot and play area for him and a pretty decent sized waterbowl. How is everything?

Here he is

Just make sure he has a good safe hiding spot on the warm side and cool side on the tank, personally I two cardboard boxes on each side of a 41qt sterlite tub and the waterbowl inbetween. So if you look at it from top down you would see a box on the left with a door cut in, a waterbowl next to that, and another box with a door and another hole on top(yes mine sometimes uses that) sometimes I open the top of the tub to see her laying on top of the box, its not the best looking but it works well.

Nice little snake! It's hard to tell from the pic, but make sure your snake has a hide on both the warm and cool sides of the tank - I can only spot one hide at the present.

Also, how much of a lump does a pinkie leave in your snake? He looks like he might be ready for a bigger size soon. :)

The lamp is unneccessary, especially with that window in the room. And make sure your cage isn't too close to that window... it can create a "greenhouse" effect if the cage gets too much sunlight. And definetly remove the bark bedding. Replace it with aspen bedding, you can find it in any pet store, if not in the reptile section, go to the rabbit and hamster section. You could buy enough aspen for about 10 bucks that will last you years! Make sure you have heat source under the cage (heat pad). And at least one hide in the "warm" zone and one in the cool zone. Good luck! :)

Well we can shut the blinds on that window.. and isnt that lamp enough heat for him? and is the aspen bedding a NEED. I havent yet been with this snake. That is why im on here, im 14 years old about to go and live with my dad and brother and they have recently gotten this :) Thanks alot

No, aspen bedding isn't a need. Some people like bark, others like aspen. Just make sure you aren't using pine or cedar, as those can be toxic. Do you have a thermometer in your tank? I would really recommend getting a digital thermometer with a probe. You can find a pretty decent one here for under $10. That way, you can evaluate whether the lamp is providing enough heat. I personally prefer at UTH and a thermostat to regulate the tempertures, but if the lamp provides enough heat, feel free to use that.

In my opinion I heat lamp is just too hard to regulate, plus it tends to bring down the humidity. Here are my suggestions none of which should be considered mandatory: I would get a Under Tank Heater instead of the lamp, a thermomiter with a probe, a thermostat to control the UTH, and I would suggest getting some fake plants to put around the vine so he feels safe to climb on it. Other than that it looks good. I personally like the way the bark looks ;). Good luck

---Kenny

DogStar5988 said:
In my opinion I heat lamp is just too hard to regulate, plus it tends to bring down the humidity. Here are my suggestions none of which should be considered mandatory: I would get a Under Tank Heater instead of the lamp, a thermomiter with a probe, a thermostat to control the UTH, and I would suggest getting some fake plants to put around the vine so he feels safe to climb on it. Other than that it looks good. I personally like the way the bark looks ;). Good luck

---Kenny

I agree completely. I prefer a UTH and thermostat for the reasons Kenny listed. You can get both a petstore that has herp supplies, or online.

Husbandry

Main Entry:
hus·band·ry

Pronunciation:
\ˈhəz-bən-drē\

Function:
noun

1: archaic : the care of a household
2: the control or judicious use of resources : conservation
3 a: the cultivation or production of plants or animals : agriculture
b: the scientific control and management of a branch of farming and especially of domestic animals

I couldn't thank you more for the help you guys have giving me. Ill be sure to take great care when I get to him or her. I have yet to be with the snake. My parents recently split up before Christmas and we have a dog still in Maryland where I used to live. I'm moving back there for a little while and my dad got a snake so I thought I would get the basic 101 down so thanks alot everyone

Back