• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My snake and my sub woofer...

error11

Well, i recently got a 5.1 speaker system and I was worried that my sub woofer would disturb my snake. What are your thoughts?

(If anyone doesn't know, a sub woofer basically gives out vibrations that give the "thump" to music and such)

Well, i recently got a 5.1 speaker system and I was worried that my sub woofer would disturb my snake. What are your thoughts?

(If anyone doesn't know, a sub woofer basically gives out vibrations that give the "thump" to music and such)
Snakes can only "hear" low frequency sounds, but they also can detect with a small ear bone (the columella ) vibrations and sound waves conducted through the ground. What this means is that not only can the snake hear the sub woofer, it can feel it as well. I would imagine playing music loud would be very disturbing for a snake and cause unnecessary stress and other problems. I would locate the snake as far away as possible from this source, play the music low and possibly consider putting it's container on rubber or something that would dampen sound waves/vibrations.

Last edited:
Im wondering the exact same thing. Im getting a new hatchling tomorrow and im a guitarist. Would the amp bother the snake? The snake will be in the same room as the amp.

I would expect so, yes. It obviously depends how loud you intend to play, but you wouldn't have an amp if it weren't meant to be cranked up from time to time ;)

I would be really averse to having my snake in the same room as an amp. That's just too close for comfort. You've got to remember they're primarily nocturnal and will want to be sleeping while you might want to be playing.

Some snakes honestly seem to like music (through a CD/MP3 player) - a lot of people swear their corns love Iron Maiden - but the vibrations caused by live music could potentially be very distressing.

Just my opinion.

P.S. My husband is a guitarist too and my snake seems to come out and listen when he plays unplugged. But I'd never allow the amp anywhere near him..

I think a hatchling could potentially be even more upset by it - that first week after you bring them home is crucial to them settling in, it must be as stress free as possible.

I guess that if you play music loud, especially low frequency/bass in a home it might be a better idea to move the snake temporarily to an area farthest from the source and putting the container in a dark closet wrapped in towels to dampen sounds and also under the container to minimize sound vibrations would be the best way to reduce stress for the snake. ( Don't forget to make sure there is air AND to put them away afterwards).

sorry to hijack this thread, but this reminded me of something.

my friend is in a band and they practice very loudly in the same room (its a big room) as the water dragons. recently they both died, and were fairly young, could that have caused it?

sorry to hijack this thread, but this reminded me of something.

my friend is in a band and they practice very loudly in the same room (its a big room) as the water dragons. recently they both died, and were fairly young, could that have caused it?
I would certainly think so. Animals can die from stress and that would've been very stressful for them!

i was hoping you werent going to say that :( your probably right though. those poor lizards, i know he wouldnt have done it if he had known any better.

My rat snake woke up and came out to look at me and see what was going on when I was playing music in my room. I am never usually in my room but I was cleaning so I had the music on. It does disturb even without a subwoofer lol.

yes I noticed when I had my music on once both my corns came out and they dont usually come out during the day, one of my speakers is right next to their vivs, I have now disconnected it and going to move it somewhere else.

So the ultimate question would be... If the snake is in the same room as your stereo, could you still play your stereo but not at high decibels?

So the ultimate question would be... If the snake is in the same room as your stereo, could you still play your stereo but not at high decibels?
I guess, but I'd still be concerned about the snake. Also I would at least put something under and around the tank to make it dark and especially to dampen sound and vibrations...

Back