• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

my snake is acting irritated

bluesistersky

Hello, I have a 8 month old corn snake who up to recently was very docile and sweet but the last couple of days she acts irritated when I try to hold her tries to get away, doesnt relax while being held etc has not tried to bite me but definately doesnt want to be held she is eating fine and is not harrassed by anyone so i dont knwo whats up any Ideas?

Welcome to the forums. :)

If she's eating fine, then you probably have nothing to worry about. Many things can cause a corn to be cranky: high temps, shed cycle, chemicals/odors (e.g. perfumes, detergents, etc..), etc..

irritated snake

Thanks! It is getting warmer and her tank was at 90 degrees allwinter which seemed ok for her but I do notice she is out of her cave and in the tree more often than not lately- do you think her tank is too warm at 90? she used to be very docile and actually would fall asleep in my hands she has never musked or attempted to bite but I dont want her to start either .

90 is too warm. Shoot for the low to mid 80s on the warm side of the tank. I don't know how you're controlling heat, but if you don't have a thermostat regulating temps, then the warming of the ambient room temps could be boosting the temps even above 90. Temps over 90 may not just irritate your corn, but be a health risk as well. The cool side of the tank should be in the mid 70s.

tank temp

Wow! I was told by the seller to keep her at 90 on the warm end-80-85 on the cool end. I use a lamp but I will move it up and cool her off. Thanks! :shrugs:

May I suggest you purchase a UTH(under tank heater) and a thermostat. That is the most effective way to control the heat in your viv. As Dean said mid 80's for the warm side and mid 70's for the cool side is what you would want to shoot for.
Good luck with your little one!

irritated snake

Hi Thanks for the info I am pretty obviously new at this but I do think she may be getting ready to shed as I was watching her and she is rubbing her head against the glass and her climbing log a lot. She has been this way for a few days now and I wish I could pick her up but I will give her a few more days and see if there is improvement or a shed . :cool:

irritated snake

Well its over a week now and although she is docile again and permits me to hold her, she continues to push against the glass and her climbing log as if trying to start a shed but no shed How long should this take ?Is it anything I need to be worried about? or will it just happen when it happens? I noticed the family cat watching her the other day and I have made certain the cat can not get up to her tank, but I believe that she may have been upset about being stared at byt the cat and I didnt know it . Anyway thanks for all the advice I have gotten. I am glad to tt someone who isnt cringing when I tell them I have a snake. LOL

hi there.
my snake has been doing the exact same thing with his head against the side of his tank. I havent had him for long but when i got him the guy in the shop sed that he thinks that the snake is due to shed. Its been 2 weeks now and he hasnt yet shed and has eaten 3 meals. I keep waiting to wake up one morning and see that my snake as shed but it hasnt yet happend. He deffinately keeps puching his knoes against the tank though and of late he has also been rubbing it on the wood chippings on the floor.

is he also preparing to shed??

irritated snake thread

HI there- I think so... Mine has only shed once since I got her but she acted just like she is now (and yours too, it sounds like... ) I am a bit concerned that it has taken so longthis time, but I would think if they keep eating they will continue to grow and it will HAVE to happen eventually LOL Anyway this is a great site for answers and information there are soem real professionals here that are very helpful so I am sure someone with more experience than myself will also answer your question (and help us both out! )
Peace Carole

Back