• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

my snake is on crack

newman said:
when ever i pick him up he will go crazy is that normal.
Yeah, I'd say so depending on how long you've had him, and how old he is.
I got a ghost corn last October, and he still tries to beat me to death with his tail whenever I grab him. I refuse to put him down until he behaves, usually about 15 minutes. But he's not learning, stll sees me as a threat when I pick him up. He will eat pinkies in my hand however, which makes it even more funny

I've had him about two weeks and i tried to hold him i gues he get to nernos and loose's himself in me! ok so he never beat me with his tail but he does try to jump on the ground no matter where he is relitive to the ground.

newman said:
I've had him about two weeks and i tried to hold him i gues he get to nernos and loose's himself in me! ok so he never beat me with his tail but he does try to jump on the ground no matter where he is relitive to the ground.
I've had a few Daredevils myself, Just keep working with him, with the rare exception most corns become very at ease with you afte a while

thats what i was thinking but i just wanted to be sure the new cor is the amel on the avator

Nice looker, I'll tell you each snake is so different. I have 9 corns at the moment and they all have totally different personalities. I have an 03 creamsicle male that I almost gave up on, striking all the time, hissing, just plain hated life. I left him alone for about 6 months, let him crawl into his feeding box on his own etc. When he was about a year old, I decided to work with him again, and he's totally cool now. I will get an occasional tail rattle out of him, but he's really calmed down a lot. Sorry to ramble, but just wanted to share my experiences

9 corns wow I just started but now I feel like a real rookie ive got the two corns in the pic a colombian rainbow boa and a red tail imperator but the are two boa are yearlings the corns are two years old

newman said:
9 corns wow I just started but now I feel like a real rookie ive got the two corns in the pic a colombian rainbow boa and a red tail imperator but the are two boa are yearlings the corns are two years old
Ok, so if your amel is 2 yrs old, definitely start handling him more. It gets harder to calm them the older they get.

well ill keep at it its kinda funny to watch the only thing im worried about is one time well move faster than i can react and injure himself.

Corns are hardy snakes, and mbdorfer, is right about the handleing, give it time and it will work. He will still be jerkey sometimes, but thats just corns for you, but generally he will calm down and start to appreaciate coming out. Good look, and keep us updated on the progress.

yeah I know that they are jerky this is my second corn but this snake will jump out of my hand if i let him! thanks for the help

You said he's about 2 years old....how big is he? Just curious because that's about the same age as mine and I just read a post from somebody that had a yearling that was the same size as mine!

one of my corns still does that a little, but my older one used to do that, (lunge to the ground) well she would tried lunging out of my hands, totally freaked me out, then one day she actually accomplished her goal, all the waqy to the floork, freaked me out, then I though she was goign to cruize, but she just starting moving slowly, prolly scared herself with the fall, but they are strong animals

Most will settle down with a bit of consistent handling. My 7 that I've owned since they were hatchlings are all really sweet tempered because they get handled all the time. The new adult female I bought has never really been handled much cos she's been raised as a breeder by her previous owner but already in the last 3 weeks has settled down enormously...then I have 2 I've borrowed on a breeding loan which are both a bit flightly (same situation with them..not really pets-more like just breeding animals). Take the time to handle your snake each day (except after feedings) and you'll see results eventually. Some snakes will never really settle down but the vast majority will.

I must agree. I've had my 3 year old corn for just over 3 weeks and she, too, wasn't handled terribly often by the breeder and was at first kinda flighty. However, in the three weeks I've had her, she's calmed down and familiarized herself with me to the extent where she won't flinch or run when I go to pick her up. Daily handling, with the exception of days after feeding, has definitely helped her adjust. Annabelle loves to hide (as do most corns), so try putting a blanket or shirt all balled up in your lap and let your corn crawl around in there so they feel safe. Mine will even hide in the sleeve of a sweatshirt. Just a thought to help the flighty-ness.

Cheers.

breaking bones

my corn snake used to be jerky and did not want to be held. I was told by the pet shop that you have to support their whole body or they will break some bones or whatever they have :shrugs: what do you think could that be true?

Not a stitch of truth in that statement.

Snakes are quite resilient and hardy.

That's for sure! I've had some that insist on squeezing under you in the chair, thru all kinds of objects that are ready made to crush them into nothingness, and a few that seem to have suicidal jumping tendencies. They've all survived.

Back