• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

my snake regurged :(

newbie319

Now, i know your supposed to wait 10 days before feeding a snake that regurged. My question is what could have caused this? I fed her Sunday afternoon, she took the pinky right away. I woke up this morning and seen the pinky in the corner of the cage, its nose and head area black. This was not there last night when I checked her temps before bed. She is not in blue, she just shed about 2 weeks ago, her temps are the same as any other time I've fed her, 82-85 hotside 77 cool side. Any ideas what else could have caused this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Did you handle him/her at all after you fed it? Handleing after feeding can upset there stomach or stres s them out. How long did the pinkie sit out before you feed. The food could have went bad. Mabe someone more experience can shed some light on the subject

No I always leave her alone, other than change her water daily, for 2 days after she ate. Unless I don't see that she pooped yet!lol I have her on newspaper so I can watch so I don't pick her up too soon. I have an eastern ribbon snake that I handle to get my snake fix! He digests so quickly that after a day and a half theres a mess in his cage. Any other ideas?

Why a baby snake may regurge in order of what I most commonly see from my customers and online reports:
1) Temperatures
2) too large a meal
3) stress (handling, etc.)
4) bacterial/viral disease, health issues

My bet is, it's one of the first three. What are you checking temps with? Have you moved up in prey size? Any chance she was given a handling session too soon?

Reasons for regurgs that I've figured out:

1. High temps. We had some hot weather a few weeks ago and I didn't realize that the sun was also shining on some hatchling setups for part of the day. Everyone of them regurged.

2. Shedding. I had one that ate just fine, regurged the next day then shed a couple days after that. I think it is one that can't handle food during a shed. Others I have are fine with it.

3. Too much food. An underfeed rescue which I thought was ready for more food wasn't. Regurged it all.

By the way, all are now doing just fine, although I do have a new to me hatchling which regurged for no reason that I can think of. I'm watching for a shed, but waiting the 10 days before feeding anything.

My temps have been the same since I got her 82-85 and 74/75. I have a reptitherm thermometer. She is still on small pinkys. She's had no problems once I got her to eat which took almost 3 weeks when I got her. I know I can't handle her soon after she eats. I ALWAYS wait either 2 days and I see that she's pooped and the lump is gone. So there eliminates the first three. Her temps dropped for maybe couple hours, if that. That was yesterday, so I've been monitering her temps more carefully. I do have a thermostat that will be here tomorrow. She seems healthy and alert. I cleaned her aquarium really well after I found the mouse and held her for a little bit. She's acting curious and moving about just fine.

I know it's not a good thing this happened but finding out a reason for it to prevent it from happening again. I'm hoping that is what it was and nothing more serious. This is my first snake other than my ribbon snake, and I still keep my eyes on both of them very carefully, so I was shocked when I woke up and seen the mouse. Thank you guys for all your replies, this forum has been so helpful with all my questions and concerns!

About 1 1/2-2 weeks ago. When I noticed her in blue, I held back from feeding her until after she shed which was about6/7 days later.

Back