• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My (sorta) Confusion about what Kiara is...

nitetygress

:wavey: This may seem like a weird question(s) but let me start...
So the vivarium said that she was an amelanistic corn snake. Now I'm learning that amelanistic just means missing black pigment. Does that mean she is some other color type and amelanistic OR is there a "classic" amelanistic snake and then separate morphs of the classic one? If she is a "classic" amel, then what is she going to look like when she grows up? I hear they look different than when they are babies (I didnt know this) so I'm curious as to what she is going to look like when she gets older (not that I'll love her less or anything like that.) Does anyone have any pics of what her final color may be?

This her now:
00038rz5

Her belly is white with clear-ish pink checks.

So the vivarium said that she was an amelanistic corn snake. Now I'm learning that amelanistic just means missing black pigment. Does that mean she is some other color type and amelanistic OR is there a "classic" amelanistic snake and then separate morphs of the classic one?

An amel corn snake is, as you said, a normal corn snake lacking black pigment. If she didn't have the amel gene she'd be a normal corn snake. A "normal based amel", if you will.

If you mix other colour morphs with amel, you get different morphs, not just amels. For example, a snow is an anery based amel, an opal is a lavender based amel, and a butter is a caramel based amel.

What she'll look like as an adult can depend. You know how much normal corn snakes can vary? Well, that's how much amels can vary too.... unless you know what the parents looked like then it's really pot luck. She does look to have quite a lot of colour, so I'd imagine she will end up a pretty bright snake when she's adult.

She is a gorgeous little "Classic Amel" or as toyah put it a "Normal-based amel"...we just call them amels though... :)

From what I can see, I agree with Toyah, she is going to be bright and very lovely!!! Just exactly what she'll look like is hard to say, only time will tell! :)

Enjoy seeing your little girl change over time! It's awesome!!! lol

As a side note: Very few baby corns of any morph look anything like what they will look like as adults! ;)

Another answer to the question is that there are "classic" amels, but then there are amels that are specifically bred for a particular look. Candy canes are amels that have been developed to have a very white background with orange or red saddles (like a red/white candy cane at Christmas). Sunglows are amels have been bred to have no white and bright orange/red colour. Reverse Okeetees are amels that are intended to be an amel version of an Okeetee with wide white borders around the red or orange saddles instead of black.

Back