• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

National Feral Cat Day

RobbiesCornField

Bring it on.
You have GOT to be kidding me.

http://nationalferalcatday.org/

My response?

554016_468691553174884_355432724_n.jpg

(Taken from Facebook)

Robbie, is that on your FB page? If so I am stealing it and sharing it on mine...LOL

Edit to add: I also thought this was going to be about an open season on feral cats...

Just feed ferals to burmese pythons ;). I'm guessing the Everglades has few problems with feral colonies.

I've been involved with feline rescue for quite a few years, and have two rescued cats now. For every cat that's a candidate for rescue, there are at least a dozen who aren't. And probably at least 100 we'll never catch. The last thing I want is to just leave ferals alone-because they'll breed more. I don't know anyone involved in rescue who see "just a stray cat" without seeing thousands of kittens in their heads and realizing what impact that has. I think most of the campaigns on facebook come from people who have never actually done any of the hands-on work and haven't seen the impact.

And I have to say, there are a lot of pet "owners" I'd LOVE to trap and neuter-in the most slow, painful way possible. If pets weren't treated as disposable, cats AND Burmese pythons wouldn't need facebook campaigns to try to explain why they're not a nuisance and should be left alone.

If pets weren't treated as disposable, cats AND Burmese pythons wouldn't need facebook campaigns to try to explain why they're not a nuisance and should be left alone.
I believe the current thinking is that the Burmese weren't individual pets set free, but the result of hurricane damage to a holding facility.

We have an awesome TNR program in my area, and when a cat is unable to be returned to its original area, they neuter/vaccinate and find people in the area who need barn cats, hten deliver the cats anywhere in a 100 mile radius for free.

Last time I asked, they neuter over 1,000 ferals a year. I love them.

Neuter/release programs are a great start. Too bad they can't neuter/spay the pythons and then release...

I thought feral cats were called moving targets or coyote food. I do not understand releasing feral cats unless you are releasing them to be a farm cat.

I believe the current thinking is that the Burmese weren't individual pets set free, but the result of hurricane damage to a holding facility.

That is correct. A few breeders, one very large in Homestead FL, took a direct hit from Hurricane Andrew. Babies and adults were released by the damage.

Hooray! Let's celebrate the most prolific invasive species in the world that kills billions and billions of native animals every year, threatening species and leading to extinction world wide!! What could it be? Surely not that little kitty cat?

AR people tick me off. I am all for animal "rights" in the sense that captive animals have the right to live a life free of suffering. Celebrating feral cats? Not so much. TNR- most definitely, though I think that it doesn't help at all, because even the "fixed" ones contribute to the deaths of thousands of native animals world wide.

I have a (spayed) rescue feral cat in my barn. I had a rat problem in there and now I don't anymore. I wouldn't mind having a burm to control rats instead but it would never survive the winter here. "Jessie" does her job.

If snakes were 'cute and cuddly' i'm sure people wouldn't care as much but that's the ignorance of people for ya. But at the same time aren't the burms a foreign species and top predator in the glades? I'm in the UK btw so i'm not %100 on the facts

So, where exactly do you draw the line between "native" species and "non native" species?

Well over here we only have 3 snakes, the grass snake, adder and i think the smooth snake so if we had burms slithering about i'd say they were 'non native'. I don't know how they've affected the eco-system over there.

Hooray! Let's celebrate the most prolific invasive species in the world that kills billions and billions of native animals every year, threatening species and leading to extinction world wide!! What could it be? Surely not that little kitty cat?

AR people tick me off. I am all for animal "rights" in the sense that captive animals have the right to live a life free of suffering. Celebrating feral cats? Not so much. TNR- most definitely, though I think that it doesn't help at all, because even the "fixed" ones contribute to the deaths of thousands of native animals world wide.

Animal rights and animal welfare are two different things. It seems that you support animal welfare, that is the taking care of the animals health and such. Animal rights people want us to leave the animals alone so they can do their thing, no matter if it kills off other species or gets so high in numbers that disease wipes the species out. The support the animals "right" to exist, undisturbed, without realizing that with us being here, we have already disturbed the natural order of things, and must take action to fill the niche of top predator that we emptied, by killing the top predators off in most areas.

Back