• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Naturalistic Vivarium

jdetty

Hello all, I am a new corn snake owner. Prior to purchasing my corn snake, Chicha, I read The Art of Keeping Snakes by Phillipe de Vosjoli. I was inspired by the book, and by posts I read on this forum and others, and decided to give it a go.

So far Chicha seems happy with her new home. I have seen her perched atop one of the cork barks basking just before "sunset" a couple of times now. Temperature and humidity have been pretty good, if a bit more difficult to regulate than with a UTH.

I would appreciate any tips from others who have tried to set up a vivarium like the ones described in The Art of Keeping Snakes. Thanks! Also if there is any interest in how I set up the substrate let me know and I will post about it.

c84faf2a6257363922967add7c0f8e0e.jpg

096035be6af206d5dadb13a037b40ccc.jpg

d79549294d70c8be7342fd1dd1c754c4.jpg

084fde988acda262796296d78bd317fc.jpg

Really neat markings on her! Would she be considered a zigzag? I love the look of your viv too, I am not brave enough to try live plants in mine, but I like the idea of it.

Really neat markings on her! Would she be considered a zigzag? I love the look of your viv too, I am not brave enough to try live plants in mine, but I like the idea of it.
Thanks! I'm not too smart about morphs but the breeder called her an Aztec which seems to be interchangeable for zigzag.

And I am a bit worried about the live plants as well, but a pretty clever idea that was in the Art of Keeping Snakes is putting a piece of Pvc pipe in the substrate and watering through that; that way you keep the plant's roots saturated without getting the top of the substrate wet.

Thanks! I'm not too smart about morphs but the breeder called her an Aztec which seems to be interchangeable for zigzag.

And I am a bit worried about the live plants as well, but a pretty clever idea that was in the Art of Keeping Snakes is putting a piece of Pvc pipe in the substrate and watering through that; that way you keep the plant's roots saturated without getting the top of the substrate wet.

Oh, so smart! Maybe I will try it in one of my vivs one day... I think I will check that book out.

I'm not generally a fan of aztec's but I quite like the look of yours. Maybe I'll pay more attention to them from now on. :)

Back