• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Nature Journal App/Database

Karoni

Cornaholic
Hi all. I think this is a long shot, but thought I'd ask. I'm looking for an app that would let me write down what I see on my nature walks. But it also needs to let me search the contents, preferably on multiple criteria. For example, if my data includes:

Lake Royal
Bullfrog
Barn Swallow
Painted Turtle
Broadhead Skink

Occoquan Regional Park
Barn Swallow
Wood Duck
Painted Turtle

Lake Royal
Barn Swallow
Red-bellied Turtle
Osprey

then I would want to be able to search for 1) Lake Royal and see two records, 2) Barn Swallow and see three records, etc.

Does that make sense? I tried Bento for the iPad but it's somewhat limited. I'd like to be able to use this on my iPad or maybe use a website service similar to iHerp but for nature sightings.

Thanks for any ideas.

HanDBase is a really nice database. I used it on Palm but never switched it over to iPad. You can configure it for whatever you want. I know that's not what you're looking for, but if you have to start from scratch, it's a really nice one.

Nanci, thanks! I'll check it out. My preference would actually be a database that I could customize, which is why I tried Bento. But Bento is pretty severely limited. Thanks for the idea.

Hey Nanci...got a question. How easy is it to customize a form? You know, design it yourself--put the fields where you want them, change the color, etc? Have you done that?

I tried Bento (which is FileMaker Pro's personal database) and you were very limited in what you could do. It wouldn't even let you put the fields exactly where you wanted to. And the search function was limited. It looks like HanDBase has more robust search/filter options.

I haven't used HanDBase for maybe 5 or 6 years, and it was easy to customize then, but it looks a lot more advanced now.

Back