• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Need a little help....

SteelJawEmily

So my female Donatello has had some issues with breeding this season.

First off she laid 6 slugs and looks like 4 or 5 good eggs. I waited a day for her to rest, then fed her two hoppers, which she ate, and passed just fine. Now she has had a bump in the same spot for 2 weeks. I assumed it was an egg, so I left her be. I read the sticky on egg bound females, and because of the placement (about 3/4 down her body) I wasn't entirely sure if it was in fact an egg, so I didn't aspirate it. Should I have done? She seems to be doing fine, still pretty active, and drinking water, and not skinny. When I checked on her today, it seems that the bump has gone down a little bit. I am reluctant to take her to the vet, simply because I cannot afford to....but if it comes to that, I may be able to pursuade my mom or boyfriend to help me out.

What should I do? Should I give her a warm soak in the bathtub? I have been leaving her alone for the most part. I have left her moss hide in there just so she has something soft to lay on, otherwise she is on sterile paper towels. She was my very first snake so I am extremely worried. Any suggestions would be great.

That's what I've been doing....she's a pretty tough girl. I just worry about the egg being too hard/big for her to pass and then causing problems internally.

Well, after a few weeks, she was finally able to push it down to her vent. She was able to poo/pee around it just fine. I gave her a warm bath and that helped soften things up enough to where I could aspirate it enough for her to push it out.

She is now recovering just fine and took a nice fat mouse tonight. Tough little girl!

The last few months that Dean had Carmen, she laid her clutch and had a last egg stuck up high like that. Carmen always double clutches, and when she laid her second clutch that old egg came out first. This was back in 2008.

Since then she has laid a few more clutches, even though I have no plans for her this year. Here she is last fall, perfectly fine!

Attachments

• Carmen111212a.gif
    Carmen111212a.gif
    229.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Carmen111212c.gif
    Carmen111212c.gif
    301.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Carmen111212d.gif
    Carmen111212d.gif
    308.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Carmen111212e.gif
    Carmen111212e.gif
    215.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Carmen111212f.gif
    Carmen111212f.gif
    131.3 KB · Views: 90
Gorgeous!

And yea, Donatello is a tough little thing. I was always told that snakes can be fragile about things like this, but my two females have shown me otherwise!

Back