• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Need a lot of help please!

Menher

Menher
OK.
I have a 12 month old corn and he is about ready now to move up a step in his living arrangements.
I have bought and constructed a viv on its own stand which is a good looking bit of kit but is causing me a few problems.
First up I am not sure of how I am going to heat it. UTH seems to be the most popular way with the members of this forum but as the bottom of this viv is inch thick wood nothing will get through. Can I drill a hole in the back, feed through the heat mat cable and leave it at that or do I have to put a thin sheet of glass or cork or perspex between the heat mat and the substrate?
Alternatively I could heat it from above. What strength of light would I need and how do you control the coverage so the full area isn't hot? What about protecting my corn from the hot surface of the bulb, is that an issue?

Thats enough for now I will post any more troubles after you clever people out there have set me straight on this.

TA.

If you decide to put the UTH inside the tank then yes a piece of plexi glass or glass should be placed over the UTH.

If you heat from above, you might want to try the a lower wattage bulb, like a 40 or 50 watt. I am not exactly sure which though, maybe others can help out. You'll need to protect your corn from the bulb so make a cage out of hardware cloth. Also keep in mind if you are using a blub it will suck the humidity out of the cage so misting and even a change in substrate such and coco husk will be needed.

Thanks much G.B. as far as it goes with the bulbs is there much differnce between the Day/Night/IR/UV ones?

Menher said:
UTH seems to be the most popular way with the members of this forum but as the bottom of this viv is inch thick wood nothing will get through.
Try adhering the UTH to the underside of a 12-inch ceramic tile. If the bottom of the viv is wood, you might even consider laying tile, maybe some nice Mexican clay, over the entire bottom, with shavings or bark on top.

For the light idea, it all depends on how far from the ground the light is. I used to use 60W bulbs before I went to a UTH heated rack. The only light heated viv I now have has a nice little clamp lamp with a dimmer built in to it. With a dimmer it doesn't matter that wattage of bulb as long as it's not too low.

Back