• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Need help again

Merlin

Hi Folks,
I know its been a long time since I poseted here but need a little help, recently I purchased a new viv to house my growing collection of snakes 5 in total but recently (over the last month and 1/2) I noticed my snakes are always in there warter bouls on closer inspection I found black bigs as I understand they are mites my boa has them and my 2 baby corns so I got sum mite away stuff to spray on my snakes and cleaned the habitats out with boiling warter and a weak blech solution I replaced the substreate with clean and put back my lil snakes about a week later it hapened again where are these bugs coming from and should I change my supplier of substrate

any ideas how to get rid of these bugs?
reguards
merlin

They may be coming from your house itself, like the garden, or underneath a desk, wall cracks, could be anywhere. The trick would be to treat the area around where you keep your vivs. I just use some roach spray and spray the corners of the room and window sills and put a bit of diatomic dust here and there, etc, but I try not to spray too close to the snakes since it's bad for them. My problem is ants as they seem to like my snakes' poos, so I have some double sided sticky tape underneath the table, routing it so that the ants would have no possible route to get to the snake cage without first going across the sticky tape.

After you treated the source, you need to treat the viv's and snakes. There's a number of things you can do for your snakes, from soaking, to using dusts and pesticides (I don't recommend doing that), soaking in warm water with a drop of dishwashing soap and dusting the viv's with diatomic dust does the trick for me. I think you're treating the vivs just fine with the bleach. All you need to do, is keep doing this, day after day after day, until the problem goes away. Also, next time, check to make sure the things you put with your snakes are mite free, like bedding, and check the store itself as the mites could be hitching rides to your place (and if that's the case don't return to that store).

-Lemur 6

Back