• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Need help on vitakraft bedding

exotics

This is the only woodshaving bedding avalible around my place

Brand: vitakraft

discription:country home forest aroma, for rabbit, mice, rats and squarrels a top litterwith the invigorating aroma of a coniferous forest , so that your pets feel at home

ingredient:a mixture of bark, woodshavings, from coniferous trees, moss and pine needles free from pest and heat treated

or can someone show me what aspen bedding look like ? they have this in the petshop http://www.kaytee.com/products/search/?pid=00833 can i use it

exotics said:
ingredient:a mixture of bark, woodshavings, from coniferous trees, moss and pine needles free from pest and heat treated

or can someone show me what aspen bedding look like ? they have this in the petshop http://www.kaytee.com/products/search/?pid=00833 can i use it

I wouldn't use that stuff if I were you... alot of wood shavings (I think pine needles in particular) are dangerous to use with snakes because they turn acidic when damp. Look for something else, and in the meantime use newspaper or paper towels.

That aspen bedding you say they have in the petshop is ideal, I would get it if I were you. Aspen is the most popular substrate to use with snakes because they can burrow in it, it absorbs damp and odour, and is dustfree.

If swallowed, depending on the amount, some aspen can pass rightthrough the snake's digestive system and come out fine in the end, however, there are also incidents and times when even if a little is injested it can become stuck or not be able to digest correctly, then your looking at all sorts of vet bills..to avoid this problem entirely, you should never feed your snakes on any kind of bedding..I feed both my snakes in a seperate enclosure, with nothing in it, this way there is no chance of something going into the snake that shouldn't be taken in. I hope this has helped you.

As stated above..many types of wood bedding can be harmful to snakes...I only know of pine being harmful but there may be others...I use aspen bedding myself..there is also repti-bark...which I'm not even sure what wood that is made from but I know that is also safe for snakes...I think cedar is okay but again I'm not positive on this fact...but whichever bedding you do choose to use...it's ALWAYS safest to NEVER feed on the bedding. :wavey:

exotics said:
so even if i use normal cedar bedding its ok as long as i do not feed them on the bedding right

No not really because Cedar shavings and bark contain phenols that are bad for your snakes. Like Beanie said they can turn acidic when damp, and that's bound to happen even if you feed in a seperate enclosure, because they're not going to poo in a seperate enclosure are they lol?

So if you can get that aspen bedding that would be ideal. :)

All the best

David

Back