• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Need reasurrance!!!

wakeboarder

wakeboarder
I'm on day 81 and still no pips. The eggs still look fine and have veins. I'm really antsy. Eggs from same parents last year set at the same temp pipped on day 69 last year.

Crikey. [no ofence!] I can see why you're worried..i'm not an expert yet on breeding so it would probably worry me too. My first clutch hatched at exactly 52 days, which I had counted as as their 'due date' by reading Kathy Love's book on corns. So they were bang on. What are your temps in the incubator? Sound like it might be a bit cold. It should be between 28-31C ideally, with higher temps being more dangerous than drops in temp. If its too cool then your eggs have not been killed but they are just not developing at the right rate. I used a simple homemade poly-box incubator with het mat stuck inside the lid, with eggs in a tub of vermiculite. I got it on a thermostat that keeps it a just the right temp. And they hatched exactly when it said they would, so I'd hazard a guess it is your temps.

I used a digi therometer which measures the temperature really accurately, with the probe inside the egg tub right next to the eggs.

If it is definately positively not the temps I would be inclined to slit one open and see what's going on. If temps are normal I can't see why it would be taking this long. ??? I'd want to see if the babies are developed, but I an understand if you were too afraid to do that. Id be worried if they were stuck then you can't leave them forever or the whole lot could die...so would risk the possibility of one dying. However if it is fully developed whn you slit it, just leave alone and it will poke out its nose and start breathing air...it'll be ok. If others think what I have said is a load of crap (coz I am only guessing) then please contribute!!

Most of my clutches are hatching in the 62-65 day range. However, last year I had one clutch that took 72 days and another took 76. I don't use an incubator, living in Az does have some advantages. Eggs are in vermiculite and containers are on shelves in "snake room". Room temperature is 82-84 degrees F. Have heard of clutches taking in excess of 80 days before. If eggs still look ok, that's a good sign. Keep us updated and good luck.

Tony

I have read on here that some people have had eggs go into80-90+ days before they start pipping, so I wouldn't worry to much about yours. Although I know how hard it is to wait but it is worth it when you see those little heads sticking out. Good luck.

First... Deep breath and relax..

I had a clutch or three, last year hit the high 80's.. Throughout incubation the temps fluctuated up and down, and I suspect this was my main cause of problems.. I may have caused an issue to, possibly by misting the eggies ever week.. *shrugs*

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Back