• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Need Some Help

I am taking a photography course and my assignment is due Monday but I am not sure what I am supposed to do.

This is the assignment-

Photograph a subject using outdoor light without showing the sun in the
photograph. This can be at sunrise or sunset. Show the drama of light.

It is cloudy here so how do I do that? I am also confused as to what he is looking for so if anyone knows could show me an example of what he means that would be great. It is an online course and that is all the info he gave us.

Thanks for any help.

Find objects or maybe even a cloudscape around sunrise or sunset and use that to show the brilliance of the sunlight. That might work out well but I'm not sure. I'll think about it a little today...

(I think it was due yesterday...) I _did_ think about it and look at all my photographs when you posted that. I couldn't come up with ANY ideas! What a vague subject. You should ask Katie next time, Arpeggio Angel, she'd the expert!

I'd say to use the light coming out of a window. Maybe in a dimly lit room with only that as a light source.

By the way you could "cheat" by simulating that outside light ray using an off-shoe flash and some cardboard.

It was due last Monday the 14th. I wasn't happy with any of the pictures I took but I got a couple pictures that were okay. The people in my class said that they didn't understand why I didn't like my pictures because they were good and exactly what they teacher asked for. :shrugs:
I think I was unhappy with them because I didn't like that I only had one day to shoot due to weather, but the more I look at them the more I like them a bit.

Here is what I submitted.

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0248.jpg

I think they look great! I'm not sure what I'm really doing when potographing anything (just point and click), but the pics look good to me!

Thanks Fred, I just got my camera last month and just started my class so I'm in the process of learning. Now if only I could get the snakes to stay still I'd be happy lol.

I love the first one! (i would have put a snake in it!) (All mine would have snakes in them.)

Nice shot I think you captured exactly what he was talking about:) I keep saying when I am done with school I am going to take a few photography classes so I know what good picture is and how to take one,lol

<snip> Now if only I could get the snakes to stay still I'd be happy lol.

Yeah, good luck with that! :D I get to experiment with that once again this afternoon. I just bought a pop-up flash diffuser (made by LumiQuest) after using one of their bounce-diffusers on my flash gun for years (didn't know they even made one for pop-ups, heard about it here). I'm going to try diffused fill flash in bright daylight today, with hopes of getting increased depth of field while still stopping at least some of the movement sometimes.

Those are great shots. The interplay of light, shadows, and backlight is really pretty.

Thanks for the nice commets everyone.

I love the first one! (i would have put a snake in it!) (All mine would have snakes in them.)

Thanks Nanci, I wanted to put a snake in but I figured I would wait until the next assignment, we have to photography a live animal. That should be easy for me, I've got tons of them lol.

Back