• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Need to bath her, how warm should the water be?

RainbowMary

Right I've just got back from visiting family, and I know my corn hasn't excreted in 4 weeks, so my first plan is to bath her....but I haven't got a thermometer so roughly how hot should it be? (luke warm when you dip your elbow in like a baby's water?) Ive checked under the aspen and everything theres definitely NO poop!

Do you have a kitchen thermometer or anything like that? I've found my snakes seem to not fight being put in water (my guess being that it's not too hot nor too cold then) if the water is about 82 to 84 degrees.

You can pick one up for the equivilent of five bucks or so at any kitchen store. Five or six inche metal probe with a dial guage on top. Wash it off and use it later to tell when your chicken is cooked!

Good luck.

can you tell me what the temperature would feel like, because I don't have a thermometer and wont have any money till next week, and I really want to get her to "go" because it's been 4 weeks, if you were to roughly measure the water by test i.e my elbow would it be luke warm?, neutral temperature?, hot? cold?

I've always used luke-warm and tested it at around 80-82 Mary :)
Best bet is to look at which side of the viv the snakes in and aim for a temperature around that... The way i see it is the water will change your snakes body temperature quite quickly so best to try and match it to roughly the temperature the snake is in!.

You really need a thermometer for this.
I can't stress it enough.
What feels warm to you may be way too hot for her.

Yes, it can be too cold. It can also be too hot, hence the need to know for sure. The water I soak mine in feels just a bit cooler than neutral. I always say "that's gotta be a little low" but the thermometer registers mid to low 80s. For this one time, go with what feels like it is just a bit less than neutral and limit the soak time to 5 minutes.

Yes, it can be too cold.
Disrupt her bodily functions and possibly give her a resp infection.

I got a thermometer for $2.50 at my local pet shop.

I need to "swim" one of my girls daily to prevent egg binding this year.

I have to ask... what substrate do you have her on? If it's anthing that is fluffy enough to burrow in, there could very well be a poop or two hidden in there somewhere. Is your snake obviously swollen right at the cloaca?

its aspen but I emptied it out and nothing, and no she's not swollen thats what I don't understand, or if she is I can't tell.....I'm bather her now in....just under neutral temperature and she's given off a tiny bit of white but thats it, no proper poop....

If she's not bulging and is eating, then I bet she's fine. Some goes in, some goes out. I would cast a slightly dubious eye upon your friend who said she fed it often.

Back