• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Needs more humidity?

Prairie Orca

Azalea-Rose is due to shed within the next few days. For the past week she hasn't pooped much, so today I had her swim in a tub of lukewarm water. As she rested her head on my hand, I stared at her tail end. Her tail was lifting up... and then I witnessed her pooping. It looked dry and crusty, even though it was in the water. I'm guessing she was constipated... possibly due to dehydration. Every day I make sure she gets a nice long drink of filtered water, though.

It might be that I have to do something to her enclosure to trap the humidity, since the top is a bar cover that allows complete air circulation. Thing is, my house always has dry air. Lately I've been trying to come up with some way to put something on top of the lid to trap more humidity. So far I've got a little plastic container with the lid kept slightly open -- I've got moist sphagnum moss in there for her.

Any idea of what I can do?

Here's two pictures of her poop:

Attachments

• 200710_poop1.jpg
    200710_poop1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 200710_poop2.jpg
    200710_poop2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 20
Every day I make sure she gets a nice long drink of filtered water,
:-offtopic
How do you make sure she get a nice long drink?? I guessing you provide fresh water daily. :shrugs:

What are the humidity levels reading? You never stated that. Normal levels 40-50%.

As for the poo, I think it's normal.

After you know what your humidity levels are which normal room humidity in cali is about 40% - 50% but if you think you need more humidity easy ways are to cover you viv with a towel. BUT if your snake gets clean air from the top, cover 3/4 of the top of the cage, wait an hour your tank will be around 90 degrees. You can also get a hunidifer but then your spending 50 bucks for something you won't need that often due to the fact that corns don't need lots of humidity.

wait an hour your tank will be around 90 degrees.:flames:

Be careful your temp and humidity rise quick with the towel idea, but it works.

Also you don't need any heat but from the bottom of tank heater.

Lennycorn -- I fill her water dish every day with fresh water, and every evening I hold her over her dish (because she likes to drink when I'm holding her).

Cornfed -- I'll probably try the towel idea. But I'll just cover about 50% of the top just to see what kind of changes will occur before making the decision of whether it'll work or not. I'm not sure of the humidity level in my house... but I know for sure that it's dry. (The walls are made of drywall, plus the furnace/air conditioner makes the air even drier.)

wait an hour your tank will be around 90 degrees.:flames:

Why??? to raise the humidity ?? and you have to be careful! :shrugs:

If so, misting and or a humid hide would be a better option.
I heard of the old trick of covering the tank but there are better ways.

Btw. With winter approaching us. We will be turning on the house heat more often, which depending on your "setup", hot air heat. This will lower the humidity in the household and in the Vivs.

Another good option is pickin up reptile moss (You can find it at pet stores) you can soak that in water and place it in the corners of her tank (about golf ball sized clumps. That should help if her humidity really is to low.

Why??? to raise the humidity ?? and you have to be careful! :shrugs:

If so, misting and or a humid hide would be a better option.
I heard of the old trick of covering the tank but there are better ways.

Btw. With winter approaching us. We will be turning on the house heat more often, which depending on your "setup", hot air heat. This will lower the humidity in the household and in the Vivs.

I'm just saying if you need a cheap easy way to get by, like I do sometimes, a towel over the tank works fine. I agree with the definite better ways, but up until last week I couldn't afford a hunidifier for my BP, so I used a towel, and it also speeds up the process. BUT like I sais before you have to be careful cause it rises fast.

I'm just saying if you need a cheap easy way to get by, like I do sometimes, a towel over the tank works fine. I agree with the definite better ways, but up until last week I couldn't afford a hunidifier for my BP, so I used a towel, and it also speeds up the process. BUT like I sais before you have to be careful cause it rises fast.

Don't let my post seem like I flaming you. But when you have to add a warning to a post. It might it might do be the best route. Also I just read your other post about your BP issues. So....
But I must say that I once use the old towel trick but within a week learned of a humid hide. Which is just a used coolwhip container with a cut out for the snake filled damp moss and it's a cheap way too.

I'll agree with you on the warning part, but everything you do has some kind of warning, I mean look at the stuff you buy for your snakes they all have warning labels. :shrugs:

I understand your not trying to degrade my opinion, I'm just giving my 2 cents and what has worked for me, and my snakes

...., but everything you do has some kind of warning, I mean look at the stuff you buy for your snakes they all have warning labels. :shrugs:

Yeah, I know what you mean, You can't even go outside and breath the air right now.

yeah, especially in Cali. stupid fires, oh and get this it finally decides to rain today after all the fires have been contained and about 75% gone

Back