• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Never clean poop out of the cage again

Paths54

I have a waste cleaning method I'm gonna share with those who have 1 or a couple of cornsnakes... OK here it is:

After a meal, I wait exactly 3 days (meaning, if I feed on Saturday morning, I do it on Tuesday night)...

Take your snakey out, fill a plastic container of warm water just enough to fill the bottom, place him in, watch him poop, flush contents down the toilet. No mess, no wiping the sides of your terrarium. it's great I tell ya.

yeah i tried that once, and it worked great, but then it seemed like my snake hated me for it; he wouldn't come out of hiding for over a week, even after dark. Also, he seemed more reluctant for me to hold him, but that's just him. If your snake doesn't mind getting wet, it's a great idea.

excellent, I will have to try that. When it is warm outside I take them for walks outside and it always works.

LOL ok I feel much better now. My baby is getting ready to shed soon so I have been letting him soak for a few minutes here and there. Next thing I know he has messy water. Exercise will also do it. Take my advice and always have a paper towel handy. I got lucky and had a box tissues near me. I'm just glad it doesn't really have a smell (though I am sure if you let it sit it would).

Lol yeah it does work, however you should let them do it when they want and not when you want. Could run the risk of possible problems in the future.

This is a great method if your snake is constipated but I don't think its really the best idea for everyday use.

I agree with Zach, shouldn't be done all the time. And you would have to use a thermometer, having the water too warm is NOT GOOD! If it feels warm to you, its burning your snake.

My cleaning poop method:

Snake poops when and where it wants.
Lift out poop and aspen surrounding it.
Spray with cleaner...

It doesn't take that long, much better all round than trying to force a corn to poop in water. Also, all snakes have different pooping patterns, my snow will go about 4 times per each meal. Too unpredictable.

I don't put him in the water to make him go poop only to help his shed. I always use a themometer when soaking as I think everyone should. Better safe than sorry.

I don't put him in the water to make him go poop only to help his shed. I always use a themometer when soaking as I think everyone should. Better safe than sorry.

I also sometimes let them swim for exercise purposes with regulated temp water or if they are having difficulty shedding. Theres nothing wrong with what you are doing, my post was directed at the original poster as saying sometime like that could have alot of people dunking their poor snakes into burning water every few days so they don't have to bother cleaning up poop. :)

Take your snakey out, fill a plastic container of warm water just enough to fill the bottom, place him in, watch him poop, flush contents down the toilet. No mess, no wiping the sides of your terrarium. it's great I tell ya.

however you should let them do it when they want and not when you want. Could run the risk of possible problems in the future.

I agree with Zach, shouldn't be done all the time. And you would have to use a thermometer, having the water too warm is NOT GOOD! If it feels warm to you, its burning your snake.

YUP, agree with all of this especially the temp of the water it should actually feel cool to you, but a thermometer is the best way to know the temp.
This is not a new idea there are a few people on here who swim their snakes for various reasons to poo, swimming a gravid female if she tolerates it is good exercise. I would rather clean up a small pile of poo with a paper towel, then a yukky plastic tub any day. Also unless you use bleach or other disinfectant the germs that remain in the plastic.

LOL I put a disposable glove on and just grab it. I am used to wearing gloves from working in the lab and I basicly do it as 2nd nature.

LOL I put a disposable glove on and just grab it. I am used to wearing gloves from working in the lab and I basicly do it as 2nd nature.
Yeah, I bet now that I have an adult corn, with adult corn poops, I'll be trying to remember where that box of gloves is right quick!

I went to Petsmart and bought a cheap "pooper scooper" for cats. Wonderful thing, really. It has a nice, LONG handle.

I just let the poop dry and then pick it up and flush it, no need for special handling procedures. :D

I just let the poop dry and then pick it up and flush it, no need for special handling procedures. :D

I just let it dry, use a paper towel, and toss it in the (covered) trash bin....no need for reconstituting something that was a funky stank when wet. ;)

regards,
jazz

I just grab the cheapo sandwhich bags I have from the dollar store, pick it up when its dry and clumped, turn the baggy inside out and voila.

Back