• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New acquisitions . . .

Drizzt80

Dakota Corns
Okay, so they're not snakes, sue me! :grin01: I've been busy over the past couple weeks spending my extra money from my coaching check. Not that much extra after the wife gets ahold of it, but enough to add the following:

New rack system just for 32 Qt. Sterilite. The ones on the right are the ones I just built. They hold more and actually allowed me to reduce the amount of floor space I needed while increasing the number of snakes I could keep! Woohoo! The white ones on the left (I have 4 total) are still useful/necessary as I can fit double the cages using 15 Qt. Sterilite. I'm thinking depending on how the summer season goes, I may build two more and reduce the white racks by two. :shrugs:
RacksTall.jpg

RacksTape.jpg

Next up is my attempt at a new and improved incubation method. I was going to possibly purchase one already made, but for $500, I figured I could better spend my money! Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard I guess. :shrugs: Anyway, while searching online I came across a couple units that were just converted coolers. !! HUH?!? Why couldn't I do that? So I did . . . :crazy02:
IncCoolerLeft.jpg

IncCoolerIn.jpg

IncCoolerRight.jpg

IncCoolerBack.jpg

It will hold 12 of the Glad Deep Dish Gladware Bowls which should be more than enough this season. It is also holding temps at 81 degrees on the bottom rack and 79.9 on the middle shelf!! I'm excited about it's use . . . especially at about $100 total for creation! The cooler itself was $60 at Cabellas, it's a 100 Qt. The wooden frame is just for support to keep it standing straight and not have it rock when opening the door.

Thanks for looking!
D80

wow.. Im jealous. hubby would freak if I even suggested something remotely close to that. I like the home made incubator system. I am looking at some on ebay, but they are more for one clutch then for multi clutches. I figure start small and work up. :) But if I just keep buying hatchlings and having to get more tanks, he'll have to give in sooner or later. yeah im only at two right now, but I already mentioned wanting to go to the herp show by me in april, to which he rolled his eyes and said.. what, your gonna get another snake? the best part, my nine year old answered for me. yeah mom said she wants to get two more. I had to leave the room to keep from laughing!

You'll never make the "RIW" with that ghetto incubator, Brent. ;) :sidestep:

But seriously, that's a cool incubator setup. The frame idea is an excellent one. Having it allow the cooler to be placed on end, with the door swinging outward is great thinking. If I ever need another incubator (I'm a wuss; I bought one), I think I'm going to try that. :cheers:

Roy Munson said:

You want a bet ;) Thats a seriously cool idea (no pun intended).

The rack looks neat too. I see most of your spidies have graduated from jars to tanks! Whoot.

Roy Munson said:

But seriously, that's a cool incubator setup. The frame idea is an excellent one. Having it allow the cooler to be placed on end, with the door swinging outward is great thinking. If I ever need another incubator (I'm a wuss; I bought one), I think I'm going to try that. :cheers:
I better make the "Reek in Weview" or I'm gonna send off numerous PM's to my 3 Moderators, also Jeff Mohr, Rich Z. and maybe a local congressman or two . . . :cool:

The biggest 'trouble' was finding a cooler big enough, yet less-expensive enough to really make it worthwhile. I'll try to remember to keep everyone updated as the season progresses. My only real concern will be with humidity. I'm used to using the 80something Qt. plastic tub with UW heaters etc. Lots-'o-humidity in that setup . . . didn't seem to be too much though. :shrugs: I'm open to change, especially since this method will be easier to use if it works right!

Elle, as for the spidies, I was able to snap a couple of pics last night . . . maybe I'll post them in General Chat . . .

Thanks for the compliments!
D80

Drizzt80 said:
I better make the "Reek in Weview" or I'm gonna send off numerous PM's to my 3 Moderators, also Jeff Mohr, Rich Z. and maybe a local congressman or two . . . :cool:

The biggest 'trouble' was finding a cooler big enough, yet less-expensive enough to really make it worthwhile. I'll try to remember to keep everyone updated as the season progresses. My only real concern will be with humidity. I'm used to using the 80something Qt. plastic tub with UW heaters etc. Lots-'o-humidity in that setup . . . didn't seem to be too much though. :shrugs: I'm open to change, especially since this method will be easier to use if it works right!

Elle, as for the spidies, I was able to snap a couple of pics last night . . . maybe I'll post them in General Chat . . .

Thanks for the compliments!
D80

Don't worry Brent, Ill make sure you reek in the rewiew.

And aye I would enjoy some pictures of the spidies!

Brent, I'd suggest using containers without holes in them. That way you don't have to worry about constantly adding more water to the moss or vermic---and you can 'burp' them every few days for fresh air.

Drizzt80 said:

Oh....You'll make it. Don't you worry. I'll take care of everything.

And if not...we'll go to the mattresses. :twoguns:

Oh yeah, nice incubator as well. I like it. I use an old freezer but the idea is the same.

MohrSnakes said:
Oh....You'll make it. Don't you worry. I'll take care of everything.

And if not...we'll go to the mattresses. :twoguns:

Oh yeah, nice incubator as well. I like it. I use an old freezer but the idea is the same.
I made it! I made it!! Thanks Jeff (and Elle!) !! :wavey:

My plan was to find a small/medium fridge. Couldn't, so I made up this plan B! I'll probably move up to a full size fridge or freezer down the road when/if I get the space to really expand . . . my wife cringes every time I talk about it! She'll want a house with a nice kitchen/dining room/living room . . . I'm looking for basement space and someplace to put a cot!! Oh, and a shower would be nice, but optional. :grin01:

D80

Back