• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

new and looking for the right kind of snake

chaseycat

hello well as the subject says the only other snakes i have ever had have been garders, very cute but now that they are in the big snakey tank in the sky it's time to move on to a bigger snake
and im not sure wether i want a corn or a milk snake in you honest opinions which one is easier to keep?
both kinds have their pros and cons
milk - smaller size(pro)
milk - not as easy to find(con)
milk - not as many morphs(con)
milk - readily eats frozen food (deff pro)
corn - easy to find(pro)
corn - med size? (pro)
corn - larger than milk (con)
corn - needs larger tank size (con)

so any info would be great!!
thanks

milk - smaller size(pro)

depending on which Milk you got, it could even be bigger than most corns, although there are certainly milks that are quite a bit smaller than corns

milk - not as easy to find(con)

there are good breeders of both milks, and corns, although I would agree that corns are more commonly available. You certainly would be able to purchase either of the two

milk - not as many morphs(con)

depends whether you want more choice, or if you plan on collecting all the morphs!!

milk - readily eats frozen food (deff pro)

so do corns - very important

corn - easy to find(pro)

sure are!

corn - med size? (pro)

4-5 foot is average for an adult with some morphs being known for generaly growing on the larger side e.g. okeetees and some being known for generally being on the smaller side e.g. miamis

corn - larger than milk (con)

as said before - not by much, if at all

corn - needs larger tank size (con)

not really - I would put both corn and milk in same size (although obviously not together!)

So - where does that leave you. Well the obvious answer is to get one of each :)

However, you are also asking the question on a cornsnake board, so we are all obviously biased!

I would say go for a corn as I believe them in general to be more "outgoing" and "friendlier"

Let us know what you chose!

Skye

re. corns vs milks

thanks for your reply and i agree im leaning toward the corns thats why i posted here!!
what morph is generally the smallest? the miami's?

have you or anyone ever tried to feed the sausages? i saw them in the Reptiles USA 2004 annual issue on page 12.

again thanks for all the info

I am sure you won't regret it if you do decide on a corn!

Sorry - I've only ever fed frozen/thawed mice;
where can you buy the sausages from? I would guess that they were more expensive?

Skye

Back