• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New baby in shed

texsnake

Wandering aimlessly
I've noticed my new baby corn (~ 5 weeks old now) is starting to get cloudy eyes. At least they seem cloudier than when I first got her, I've been leaving her alone for the most part to adjust to her new environment. Anyways, are the eyes the first thing to start going cloudy when snakes go into blue? Just asking as an anxious first time baby owner! I've seen other snakes in blue and their whole body was cloudy, but maybe I just caught them later in the shed cycle? I put a humid hide in the viv just in case, a simple plastic container with some wet paper towels.

What morph is the snake?
When the snake's hormones change to start the shed cycle all scales become cloudy. Depending on the morph of the snake it's the eyes that the "blue" cycle is the most noticeable.
Looks like you're doing it right :)
No worries.

She's a Miami phase so I feel like I should be able to see the dulling of the scales. Maybe the shedding cycle just hasn't progressed enough yet for the body to cloud over. She's been staying in the humid hid ever since I put it in.

many snakes will seem to start hiding more than usual. Then you'll notice a dulling of the skin and eyes. Sometimes the skin dulls first, sometimes the eyes do. Then you will notice the skin and eyes look normal again. The actual shed occurs after that.

There are different degrees of each. Sometimes the eyes are really noticeable and sometimes you might miss it altogether. Sometimes the snake will hide and may not eat, other times it might act normal.

From the very beginning stages all the way through to the shed, it can be a matter of several days to several weeks.

All I can tell you is watch and learn. You'll know it when you see it.

I am enclosing 2 pictures of my snake. You can clearly see the difference. In the first pic, his eyes are cloudy ("Blue) and his skin is a dull pinkish color. Normally he is Orange in color. In the 2nd Pic he is after shed, his normal color is back and his eyes are clear.

Attachments

• IMG_0338 (2).JPG
    IMG_0338 (2).JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0711.JPG
    IMG_0711.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I've only had her for a few days so I guess I'm just not familiar with her true color yet. If she was starting shed when I got her then I wouldn't know any better between normally colored scales and dull ones.

Back