• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Baby Rosy Boa! (Pictures and Questions!)

Momo

Hopeless Addict...
This is Sissel! I've had him for a week now and I love him to bits! I do have some new mommy questions though that I hope you guys can help me with.

First, some background info. I was told he was eating live pinky mice every seven days but I was assured he would take F/T since the breeder had run out of live and had successfully fed him F/T two weeks prior to bringing him to the expo. I decided to try feeding him a F/T pinky this past Thursday and he ate it readily. After about an hour the lump was gone and he was moving around his tank as usual. Today I went to go handle him for the first time after waiting 72 hours after feeding. I had wanted to try weighing him but I didn't even get two feet from the tank before he decided that my pinky finger looked delicious and proceeded to bite and try to constrict.

Alright, now for my questions. I pretty sure I need to be feeding him more than one pink a feeding? I tried to contact the breeder via email a few days ago but I haven't heard back so I figured I should ask here for opinions. As for the second question, he probably bit me because he was hungry so I should try feeding him more before handling him again, right? What I'm concerned about is trying to make it so that he doesn't decide that my hand is a chew toy when I try handling him again. Also, I put his head under a cool stream of water (not full blast of course) to get him to let go. Is that an acceptable way to get him to let go? He wasn't planning on letting go anytime soon if he had his way! :)

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Attachments

• IMAG0122.jpg
    IMAG0122.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMAG0124.jpg
    IMAG0124.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMAG0125.jpg
    IMAG0125.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 52
Do you know how much he weighs??

You can feed him one prey item the same diameter as he is.

No, unfortunately. I was planning on weighing him today but I didn't manage to get him to the scale before he latched onto my pinky and even after I got him loose he was determined to bite my pinky again. Do you want me to try again to weigh him today?

The pinky I gave him Thursday looked to be close to the same size that he was. So I'm feeding the rigght amount then every week as long as it's the same size as him?

No, unfortunately. I was planning on weighing him today but I didn't manage to get him to the scale before he latched onto my pinky and even after I got him loose he was determined to bite my pinky again. Do you want me to try again to weigh him today?

Zero your scale with a container w/lid on it and then scoop him into that for weighing and transport. That way you get an accurate weight and less risk of being bitten. As far as I know, running his head under water is a pretty good way to get them to let go.

Alright, well I weighed him this morning and he weighs 29g. Thanks, Afrederi for the container idea! It totally slipped my mind! So, based on how much he weighs, am I feeding him right?

I tried again to handle him today afterwards to see if it was maybe that I hadn't washed my hands well enough and that I smelled like something good (I had eaten chicken last night so who knows). I even used hand sanitizer as well after washing to hopefully give him the impression that I smelled/tasted absolutely nasty. It worked, somewhat.

He proceeded to strike at all parts of my hand while I was holding him but let go pretty readily each time until he finally reached the tip of my pinky finger on my other hand that I had tried to keep hidden. He latched on and tried to constrict. This time since I had the hand sanitizer smell on me I was going to let him figure out that I wasn't food on his own which took him a few minutes but he did let go. I ended our little love fest shortly after since he was on the move again trying to figure out what part of my hand to attach to next. He still had my hand constricted so I wouldn't get away before he did.

So! How should I go from here as far as handling him from now on? I really don't want to damage his teeth and he acts real focused as soon as I open the lid to his tank so its hard to even get him out without him trying.

No, that's not nearly enough for him. Can you get him a peach fuzzy mouse, and see how he does on that? Then, if that goes fine, I'd get a fuzzy in the 7-8 gram range, and try that.

No, that's not nearly enough for him. Can you get him a peach fuzzy mouse, and see how he does on that? Then, if that goes fine, I'd get a fuzzy in the 7-8 gram range, and try that.

I thought so. Should I feed him today or wait till his usual feeding day which is Thursday? I can go out and get him the food today. That is no problem. Do you think that is why he is so intent on biting me? Because he is hungry?

Sorry for the double post but rereading what you posted- I don't know if PetsMart or Petco sells peach fuzzies... I only remember seeing fuzzies the last time I went there but they could have been out. Should I try the fuzzy if they don't have peach fuzzies?

I'd get a pack of fuzzies, and weigh them. Isn't there a reptile store near you where you could buy mice?

If the fuzzies are no larger than 8-9 grams, I'd try him on one of those.

As far as I know of, no. I haven't seen any place like that. Thank you so much though for helping! I appreciate it and I'm sure Sissel does too. :) Should I feed him today do you think or wait?

Oh thank goodness. I didn't know if scheduling was important or not. I didn't really want to have to wait till Thursday if I didn't have to. Lol! I got a couple fuzzy mice today. The smallest (in the packaging) was about 6g. If it is too big for him, could I feed him, say, two pinkies? I still have a few of those left too. They didn't have and peach fuzzies unfortunately.

I bet he eats the fuzzy with no problem. BUT- he might not know what to do with a mouse with hair! That is very common for cornsnakes when they switch.

I'm betting on him doing fine too. Of course it may just be me being overly optimistic. Hah! :D He thinks he's ready to eat my hand so I think he's confident enough to do his best at least.

I'll update to let you know how he does. :)

He ate just fine! :) He had a nice little bulge in his belly so I'm sure I won't see him for a while.

It was strange though since this fuzzy mouse didn't have any fur! I was surprised really. At first I thought I had bought a pinky mouse but it was definitely much larger than a pinky. So we'll have to wait to see if he has an issue with hair.

Back