• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New climbing tubes.. mistaken for a hide!

proileri

I recently made a new, bigger viv for my snake. It's about 2' high, and as she seems to be interested in exploring the top corners and falling down while doing it (and waking me up with all the ruckus!), I needed to add some climbing holds for her.

I took some kitchen towel rolls and cut them in half, then zip-tied them through small holes on the wooden sides - they're about the size of a toilet paper roll. The only problem is, she used to have a large cardboard tube hide in the old viv, and she mistook the paper rolls as similar hiding places..

So this is what happens when almost an adult snake is thinking "hey I used to fit into one of these hides.."

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghljmib43c8e7nh/nuppu13-tuubi.jpg

Oops sorry, Dropbox made hotlinking difficult a while ago, trying to still link images reliably..

nuppu13-tuubi.jpg

HAHA! Fantatsic idea!! I wonder if I could do something like this in a glass vive... ;)

HAHA! Fantatsic idea!! I wonder if I could do something like this in a glass vive... ;)

I used to have a long V-shaped branch running from the lower front edge to the upper rear edge. I did cut it pretty exactly, so when I put it in from the top, it fit in there pretty snug and didn't move much.

You can order strong magnets that work across the vivarium glass. Hot glue one to the item to be placed in the viv and put another magnet on the outside to hold it - use multiple magnets for heavier objects or larger snakes. Pangea Reptile sells them, and you can find them on Amazon too, I'm sure. I have to use these on some of my gecko enclosures, which have a smooth plastic side that will not hold a suction cup...

You can order strong magnets that work across the vivarium glass. Hot glue one to the item to be placed in the viv and put another magnet on the outside to hold it - use multiple magnets for heavier objects or larger snakes.

Yep, also craft stores seem to be stacking stronger magnets nowadays. If the magnets slide on the surface, it can be helped with some BluTack - it sticks surprisingly well to glass.

I'm not too sure about the magnet thing... You're talk strong magnets, they are heavy and when they come together that hit pretty hard. Not sure if I'd risk break my glass or not. That is just my opinion, though.

The magnet idea isn't that bad. In fact, it's a rather popular idea with turtle and arboreal reptile owners. You can get commercially made products that are basically teh same thing, magnetic shelves, but it's cheaper and rather easy to make something yourself.

You can prevent the magnets from smacking together on the glass. Simply place the outside magnet on the glass (away from the inside magnet) and slide it towards the inside magnet. Just make sure the inside magnet is already touching the glass.

Back