• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New corn biting.

Cornflake514

Hey there, I just bought my very first corn snake yesterday. I got him from a local pet store that has been around for a long time, because I figured they would take better care of their animals than a chain store.
When I got him home I put him in his tank and let him take some time to explore. I didn't pick him up to put him in because he seemed rather agitated. I just left the box and let him come out on his own, once he was out I took the box away and left him alone.
I tried to pick him up a few hours later, and he was coiling up and acting like he was going to strike. So I decided I should give him more time, and went to be, and waited till later this afternoon to try again and he bit me. He did it like he would a strike a mouse. I'm not sure if that is the way they normally bite?
After this happened I gave it a bit of research and it said that they need about four days to adjust to their new surroundings. But I also hear that they are not known to bite and never do. I know it probably sounds lame but now I'm a bit scared to pick him up and try to hold him. I thought maybe he was hungry, but they just fed him yesterday. He also hasn't moved from under his hide since last night. I was thinking that maybe he was abused or something, 'cause the lady said that someone took him in. So I was thinking that maybe they didn't want him, and didn't treat him to great. He's about a foot long, and not all that wide. Any advice? I'm going to give him a few more days, but I don't know I'm nervous he isn't going to come around. Is this stuff normal? I've done a lot of research before getting him, cause I was going to go with a ball, but decided on a corn, but other than the research I did I don't know anything about snakes, I really don't have any experience.

If you fed him yesterday, leave him alone for 3 days so he can digest. Handling too soon after a meal can lead to regurge.
At 1 foot in length, you corn is a hatchling. Its striking and biting you is just in defense, as the little fella is prolly scared death of you. Remember we look like Godzilla to those little snakes.
Corn Snakes, although very docile can and will bite occassionally , and it is common for hatchlings to do so. They quickly stop this behavior in short time. Usually when an adult bites it is usually due to a feeding response and them mistaken your hand for food. Again Adult Corns rarely bite. A bite from a corn is more shock factor than pain..pretty much feels like getting stuck by a thorn.
Relax, wear gloves if you have to, but handle your corn a few times a week ( except those days after a meal) and you two will be best friends for life in no time :santa:

Thanks a lot, someone said that maybe I should put something like a small article of clothing in his tank, to get him used to my sent, is that okay to have in his tank?
Also is just a normal pair of gloves okay to wear? I was thinking about that too, but figured it'd scare him even more.

:santa: Congrats on the new Corn & hello fellow Rhode Islander. The poor baby is more than likely confused w/all the new smells & sounds in your home. Giving the poor darling at least a few days to settle in will probably calm him down. I've also found that both of my girls prefer to be picked up in different ways. Slither likes me to slip my hand underneath her & then wrap my fingers around her gently; whereas, Squiggle likes the wrap from above method. It takes time to get to know any new animal & snakes are no exception. They all have different personalities, just like us. ;) Y'all just need to get used to each other.
How was he when you held him in the store...& when they/you picked him up there?

You can wear latex gloves or garden gloves, but its best to just get used to the little cobra with your bare hands, lol. It won't hurt to be bitten when they're this size. Give your new little one some time to adjust to the new home, definitely don't handle for at least 48 hrs after eating, and you are on your way to becoming a veteran snake wrangler!

Well I went in the pet store earlier in the week and held a snake, I'm pretty sure it was the same one 'cause they only had one, and he was in a tiny critter cage all by himself, then I went in like 4 days later after getting all the things I need for him. When I held him the first day (if it was him which I'm pretty sure like I said) he didn't bite me or the guy there, he was a little scared you could tell, and coiled up a bit in my hand, but other than that was okay. But when I went to get him yesterday, there was a different person working. She didn't seem to know much about him, but she was scared of him, so she took him out of his little tank and like practically threw him in a box, kinda ticked me off, she like dropped him in from a good 4 inches high, and then jabbed at him when picking them up. She said she's scared of snakes and spiders... Clearly she shouldn't be working there alone.

I also have another question, I hear that you need to keep the tanks humidity at a certain level, but I'm not sure the best way to do it. A few people said mist the cage, others said the heat from the lamp and water dish should be enough, or that they put a moist towel over the top. These are just things that I read on various websites. Is there a way to know how humid it is, and what techniques work best?
Also I'm thinking about calling the petstore and asking them, how much he eats, 'cause the girl said he eats pinkys but didn't say how many or really how often. She told me he was fine till Tuesday, so I'm guessing a week, but I hear that they usually eat more than once a week. I wasn't to happy with the service I got from this place, I used to go there all the time, but haven't been in a few years, and they've switched owners since then.

Depends on the size of the snake. Look up the Munson Plan.

Biting isn't uncommon, especially with hatchlings... luckily it doesn't hurt; the shock is the worst part about it. If he ever bites again, don't jerk your hand away. Pulling back

A) Reinforces the idea that he can make you leave by biting and
B) Can rip out or break his teeth, causing an infection in his mouth

You can monitor humidity with a hygrometer but most corns are pretty hardy... only a real need to keep humidity high if they're in shed and they've had a poor shed in the past.

Try not to take offense to this, but it sounds like you kind of bought the little guy on an impulse, and maybe should have researched the work that goes into setting them up a little better. I mean, I had heard corns have a docile temperament for snakes before I bought my first, but I can't imagine whoever told you they NEVER bite is very well-versed on the subject. But I guess that's what forums like this are here for in the first place; to get help when you need it.

Congrats on your new snake! :)

I remember when I first got my snake, he was a little hater, always threatening to strike and such. I honestly was worried that he would never like me. I would give him at least 5 days alone before handling him so he can relax a little. It might take him a month or so to fully settle in, but chances are that he'll calm down after a while, especially with regular handling. Just make sure to give him a few days after eating before you pick him up so you don't stress him out which can cause him to regurgitate, you definitely don't want that.

As for gloves, I think they're great to use when you're first getting used to your snake. In my experience, if you go in there confidently and just scoop your snake up, he usually won't make too much of a scene. (He might flail at first until he's used to you, but just make sure you're supporting his whole body.) If you hesitate, you're more likely to get bitten. Anyway, gloves helped me with the confidence - I knew it wouldn't hurt if my snake bit me but I was still nervous. I found an extra pair of gloves to keep by the tank, and before long I was able to just pick him up out of the cage without them. I actually think it was really helpful to hold him with the gloves at first because it made me less jumpy which I'm pretty sure snakes can sense.

Also, if you're handling him and he starts to thrash around or if he strikes at you, don't put him back in his vivarium until he calms down - you don't want him to learn that you'll go away if he strikes. That applies to getting him out of the viv, too.

Well I guess you could say me decision was a tad rushed. I looked into them for about 3 weeks before deciding to get one. I don't know what else I really could of done to be more prepared for him though, I got all the things I needed, cleaned everything, set it up, watched numerous youtube videos on proper care, and also bought a book... The book however, has yet to come in, I ordered it a week ago on Amazon.
I had two people that told me they rarely ever bite, and there were people on Craigs List. I mean I know that usually there will be an animal out there of any species that'll bite, but I just wasn't sure if it was normal for him to be nippy.
I'm just hoping he'll come around, I haven't touched him since earlier today, when he had bit, me, and like the advice I've been given I'm going to give him some extra time.
I'll look up the feeding, and thanks for the info about humidity.

It makes sense not to put him back right when he starts to bite or act up, thanks for that advice too. I hope everything works out. :)

Congrats on your new snake! :)

I remember when I first got my snake, he was a little hater, always threatening to strike and such. I honestly was worried that he would never like me. I would give him at least 5 days alone before handling him so he can relax a little. It might take him a month or so to fully settle in, but chances are that he'll calm down after a while, especially with regular handling. Just make sure to give him a few days after eating before you pick him up so you don't stress him out which can cause him to regurgitate, you definitely don't want that.

As for gloves, I think they're great to use when you're first getting used to your snake. In my experience, if you go in there confidently and just scoop your snake up, he usually won't make too much of a scene. (He might flail at first until he's used to you, but just make sure you're supporting his whole body.) If you hesitate, you're more likely to get bitten. Anyway, gloves helped me with the confidence - I knew it wouldn't hurt if my snake bit me but I was still nervous. I found an extra pair of gloves to keep by the tank, and before long I was able to just pick him up out of the cage without them. I actually think it was really helpful to hold him with the gloves at first because it made me less jumpy which I'm pretty sure snakes can sense.

Also, if you're handling him and he starts to thrash around or if he strikes at you, don't put him back in his vivarium until he calms down - you don't want him to learn that you'll go away if he strikes. That applies to getting him out of the viv, too.

WELL put. just scoop him up. good luck with everything:santa:

Well I guess you could say me decision was a tad rushed. I looked into them for about 3 weeks before deciding to get one. I don't know what else I really could of done to be more prepared for him though, I got all the things I needed, cleaned everything, set it up, watched numerous youtube videos on proper care, and also bought a book... The book however, has yet to come in, I ordered it a week ago on Amazon.
I had two people that told me they rarely ever bite, and there were people on Craigs List. I mean I know that usually there will be an animal out there of any species that'll bite, but I just wasn't sure if it was normal for him to be nippy.
I'm just hoping he'll come around, I haven't touched him since earlier today, when he had bit, me, and like the advice I've been given I'm going to give him some extra time.
I'll look up the feeding, and thanks for the info about humidity.

It makes sense not to put him back right when he starts to bite or act up, thanks for that advice too. I hope everything works out. :)
I've heard stories on here of corns who never really stop being "hatelings", but consider that most people on here have upwards of 5 corns, let alone other animals, and a corn snake that's nippy into adulthood is few and far between. Handle him gently (by just letting him wriggle through your hands; gently guide him away if he tries to squirm to the ground... they can and will move very fast to get away at this age) whenever he isn't digesting (2-3 days after eating) for about 15 minutes each time and he should become more used to you. If it gives you more confidence picking him up to wear gloves, feel free to do so. I know when I first held a hatchling corn snake I was too nervous to confidently pick them up, but I was more afraid of hurting the fragile things than getting bit. But that quickly faded, even after my Boo bit me (my fault, too impatient in wanting to hold him the first night I brought him home), and now I pick up any snake I like without a second thought. Well... except the venomous ones. Those I spare a second thought. :) Some other things to warn you about, while I'm at it... they might poop on you. Mouse narrowly missed unloading a huuuge poo right on my hand the other night; she mercifully hit only my mom and a throw pillow. They also might squirm like crazy when you first try to take them out the tank, but will more than likely relax once they're out of their "territory" and in your hands. Out of curiosity, what book did you get? Kathy Love's are very good; I managed to find both at a used book store the other day. Very informative without being full of complicated scientific terms or being over simplified and aimed towards kids. But, if you're like me you'll devour any and every book, forum, anecdote, etc on your pet you can get. I learn something new every day about my pets!

One last thing... this may be your first snake, but it probably won't be your last... I snuck Mouse home just 2 weeks after buying Boo, and now I'm scheming ways to sneak a Ball Python, Rosy Boa, or Western Hognose in.

Forgot to mention; Kathy Love also frequents this site, and she's always been very prompt in answering questions if I PM her. She's a wonderful lady, and I doubt there's a member here who wouldn't recommend her books or her advice.

Sounds like you need to do a lot of skimming on the site here and may end up having to alter things... You mentioned using a heat lamp? Heat lamps are usually heavily advised against, and for good reason. Your snake's natural habits aside, a heat lamp can suck your tank dry enough even for a corn snake to shed poorly, and it's hard to get an accurate read of the tank's hottest point when using one.

Oops, I got sidetracked a little. Back to the point of the thread.

Nipping is normal for hatchling corn snakes, especially after moving to a new home and especially especially after a meal... If he was fed yesterday, he needs to be left completely alone for the next day or two--he's probably already ridiculously stressed. (To be honest, it was irresponsible of the store to sell him to you just after feeding him... A less hardy snake would likely have regurgitated.)

He might continue to nip and be nervous, but regular handling should calm him down... Corns are rather docile snakes, no doubt about it. Some will remain to be insatiable "hatelings" well into adulthood (I have two of those), but most will tame down pretty quickly and stay that way. Just give your kid some time to settle in, make sure you're doing things right, and he'll be a great pet for years to come.

I don't know, I've heard that you shouldn't use under the tank heaters, 'cause they cause fire, then I read that you shouldn't use lights, I've hear a bunch of different things, but I asked the guy at the pet store and he said to use both... The light during the day, and the pad at night. My dad came over today, and he handled him. He didn't nip or anything, and I held him for a while too, he was a little jumpy at first, but seemed to warm up quickly. My dad held him twice today, and he seems to be getting better. So I'm happy.
My dad told me that the light probably wasn't the best thing for them, and that he used just the heater when he had one. I think I'm going to buy a new one though, 'cause they one I have doesn't seem to heat up as well as it should. My dad said it seems fine, but to use it when I can keep an eye on my snake and the pad.
Thanks for all of the information.
Ohhh and I just went on my Amazon account to look at the book I got. I wasn't sure who the author was but that name sounded familiar. I ended up getting it 'cause it was the cheapest and I only had $5 on my account. It's The Corn Snake Manual by Kathy Love.

I don't know, I've heard that you shouldn't use under the tank heaters, 'cause they cause fire, then I read that you shouldn't use lights, I've hear a bunch of different things, but I asked the guy at the pet store and he said to use both... The light during the day, and the pad at night. My dad came over today, and he handled him. He didn't nip or anything, and I held him for a while too, he was a little jumpy at first, but seemed to warm up quickly. My dad held him twice today, and he seems to be getting better. So I'm happy.
My dad told me that the light probably wasn't the best thing for them, and that he used just the heater when he had one. I think I'm going to buy a new one though, 'cause they one I have doesn't seem to heat up as well as it should. My dad said it seems fine, but to use it when I can keep an eye on my snake and the pad.
Thanks for all of the information.
Ohhh and I just went on my Amazon account to look at the book I got. I wasn't sure who the author was but that name sounded familiar. I ended up getting it 'cause it was the cheapest and I only had $5 on my account. It's The Corn Snake Manual by Kathy Love.
UTH > light. Corn snakes are both nocturnal and rely more on belly heat than ambient heat. Besides that, light dry up the viv too quickly and make it hard to read what spot is hottest... or if there's a proper temp gradient. Under tank heaters could cause a fire, I suppose, but only if they were left on unregulated and with no ventilation. Otherwise, if they're functioning properly and hooked up to a thermostat or rheostat, fire shouldn't be an issue. Make a habit of filtering out most of what pet stores tell you; he told you to get both because that meant you spent more at the store. They aren't necessarily knowledgeable in the animal you're purchasing. I think Kathy Love's book will be a fantastic read for you, when it arrives.

Kathy Love's book will be very helpful. As for UTHs, I think as long as they are kept dry & checked regularly, they don't represent a fire threat, and corn snakes like floor heat. Breeders use something similar, heat tape, and I can't imagine they would do so if it was a major fire threat. The breeders here would certainly know about it if it was.

New Corn snake

I just got a new cornsnake for my classroom. He also has tried to bite me.
I gave him a week to adjust to his new surroundings. I feed him and left alone for several days. Yesterday was my first time holding him. Today, I used gloves, and I allowed him to decide his movement. I slowly moved him if he was going were he should not. He still tried to strike back- but not like he did yesterday. I plan to hold him about 15 minutes or more each day until he can adjust to his new surroundings. (This is my first snake!):santa:

Yeah he's my first too, like I said. He's actually warmed up to me quite well I've picked him up without the gloves now. I think it was just that he was nervous, and that I picked him up really slow and he felt threatened.
Mine is quite nice though, and rather calm. I like him a lot now that I'm not scared to hold him, and he's friendly. I got my book in the mail today as well, and I've been reading it little by little.

I just got a new cornsnake for my classroom. He also has tried to bite me.
I gave him a week to adjust to his new surroundings. I feed him and left alone for several days. Yesterday was my first time holding him. Today, I used gloves, and I allowed him to decide his movement. I slowly moved him if he was going were he should not. He still tried to strike back- but not like he did yesterday. I plan to hold him about 15 minutes or more each day until he can adjust to his new surroundings. (This is my first snake!):santa:
That's a very good way to start off! Keep his container LOCKED LOCKED LOCKED. Kids are a lethal mix of curious and cruel.

I was going to say I would let him settle in for a week rather than just a couple of days, since he's obviously a tad distressed at the move, but sounds like he has already calmed down somewhat? That's good news.

Apologies if I'm wrong, but it doesn't sounds like you're measuring the temperature?

If it's too hot it could make the snake aggressive - that probably isn't what's happening here, but temperature is important nonetheless. Most owners use heat pads (UTHs) for their corns, they are highly recommended as corns need 'belly heat', but they must be connected to a thermostat so they don't overheat. Aim for 85 degrees on the warm side and good luck with your new pet!

Back