• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New Corn owner

JeanH

Hi Everyone! First I would just like to say Wow what a great forum and a wealth of info!

I just bought two baby corns 11 days ago. The male is a common corn and the female is an Anerythristic corn. She's a little bit bigger then the male. So far they seem to be doing great! I have them both in a 20 gal. long tank. I have the lizard carpet on the bottom but I'm thinking of switching to Aspen or Reptile bark. Which one would be better and are they fine for babies? I have two of the hiding rocks, one half log (hot side) and a paper towel tube (my female is always in that) for hiding. A branch for climbing and I just got a bigger water dish. Right now I'm using an UTH and if it gets chilly or I want to see them I have a regular light on top. Can a Florecent light be used to light up the tank or should you only turn the light on if you need it? The temp on the cool side runs about 70-75, the warm side runs around 75-77 outside the hiding places and right now its reading 83.6 under the half log, I know the rock gets a little warmer, that is half on and half off the UTH. I have a digital thermometer and I move the probe thing around the cage and leave it in the spot for about 3-4 mins. I figured that would give me an accurate reading. If I leave it on the UTH then it will keep going up. I've fed my guys each a pinkie on Sat. and then again last night. I was planning on feeding them every 4-5 days. When should you increase their feeding amount?

I also plan on separating them after reading the posts here. My boss just told me she has a 50 gal tank I can have. If its big enough, I was thinking of dividing that in two for now. Will that work for a baby corn? I'm asking because I've read some posts where a big cage can stress a baby out. Then as they get bigger move the one to another cage and open this one up. I figured that would be better then keeping them in the 20 gal L and separating them in the spring.

Sorry this is so long! And had so many questions! Any thing I can change or improve please let me know!

Jean

Welcome to the forum, and to one of the most addicting hobbies in the world. Everything sounds fine. You might want to change your temps a little bit. You would probably want the cool side to be 75 - 77 and the warm side 80 - 84. Also, if you use the UTH, you might want to look into getting a Proportional thermostat so that you can control the temp of it easier. This will help you out and also make sure that you don't burn your snakes.

As for substrate, I would go with the Teptile Bark for hatchlings as it is larger and won't be as easly injested while borrowing.

A florecent light can be used to light the viv, but isn't really needed as Corn Snakes don't draw vitamins from the light like some other reptiles do. But, it will give the viv a good glow during the day. I would set it up on a timer so that it turns itself on and off in the morning and night. It might also help out to get a night bulb...perferable red...that you turn on at night. Corns are nocturnal and having light changes like this will help with the natural cycles.

A 50 GAL tank would be suffecient for splitting in half. that would give each snake a 25 GAL home. Make sure that you have lots and lots of hiding spots for them.

Everything else sounds fine. Hopefully if I left anything out, others will be around to mention them.

Thank you! Yes they are addicting. I love looking at all the color variations. Its funny I have 3 hides right now and I just put in a couple of days ago a paper towel tube. My female lives in that thing! She is constantly in it.

Jean

How many corns can you keep in a four foot tank??

Personally, I would only have one in a tank, for loads of reasons explained,(Use the Search option on this forum).
You could split the tank with a very secure partition, and house two hatchlings...(again, if you use the Search option, you will find how people have done this).
Explain how many you were thinking of and what age, and i am sure people will be able to advise you better... :)

WELL, at the moment Im building new tanks (about 3 4foot tanks) But in the 1 I already have Ive got 1male 1.2m and 2 hatchlings and 2yearlings about 900mm long! I know its a bit too rough but im bussy! what do you suggest?

Oh my, you are busy!!!
If i were in your situation, i would separate all of them as soon as possible.
There are many reasons people have their snakes housed separately.
If you go to Search and type in Sharing, then scroll down to a thread by me called Should i get another hatchling yet?. This thread may answer some of your questions.
I would separate your hatchlings straight away as hatchling containers are so easy and affordable to buy.
Your other three......can you temporarily house them separately until you have finished the tanks??

NOT ACTULY! But Ill try my best to finish those tanks ASAP!!! Ill go get a hatchling carry case tomorrow! for those babies of mine! Thanks for your help!

Thanks I will! i also just read that artical @ should i get another hatchling yet! and Believe u me im going to build those tanks in 24hours or less!

Back