• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

new corn owner

dawiz

ive read a ton of info on here and so far i guess its best to wait 5 days before handling the snake after introducing it to its new home? is this a definate 5 days? my son is driving me nuts wanting to hold him.

It's not a definite number. Every snake is different, but it's very hard to guess the temperment on a brand new snake.
It's really a matter of better safe than sorry, because you can't really know exactly how stressed out a snake is, and their stress levels have a pretty big impact on their health.

I personally wouldn't say exactly five days, I got mine on a Friday afternoon and left it alone in its icecream tub inside the Viv in peace. Then handled on the Monday for a about 5 minutes, she was very skittish at first and hissed alot and did the tail rattle thing, and then every couple of days after that till she chilled out abit. The more she chilled the longer I'd handle her.

I'd say give your snake at least 3 days in complete silence, then consider handling for short periods.

thanks for the reply. my son and i went to see the snake a few times before convincing the wife to "allow" it.
when we went back to purchase it it was in blue. so i know we have to be gentle with it when we do and not to fweed it until its done shedding. another question is heat.
i have read so many mixed opinions. i live in s. florida. the snake is inside the house which is air conditioned. i currently have a lamp on one side of the tank and the temps read about 85-88 on the warm side and 80 on the cool side. is this ok?

I don't think I'm the best person to answer this, but that seems a bit too warm. The Husbandry FAQ says 75-80 and 80-85, so you've got a warm side and a warmer side.
It also suggests you not let the temps get higher than 90, and you're getting kind of close so be careful.
However, I don't know any way to cool the viv down, aside from turning up the AC.
I'd suggest making sure the viv isn't sitting in direct sunlight, and that your snake always has fresh cool water.

i could put a lower watt bulb or just put it up higher instead of setting it on the screened top of the viv if need be. it has a 40w household bulb in it now.

With regards to holding-
After four or five days, you'll want to take the snake out and hold it for long enough so it calms down a bit. Some people believe that putting them down immediately if they rattle/musk/strike will give them the reaction they want, and eventually condition them to do it more.

Heating-
I think you have the right idea with moving the light farther away. You might want to move it off the screen top anyway, because you wouldn't want your snake to come in contact with the hot metal/bulb.

Welcome to the forums, and good luck!

Hmm..You could always invest into an UTH (under tank heater) with a thermostat to regulate the temp. for the heater..heating through lighting just always seems to be a hassle to find the right temp. But that call is up to you good luck to ya :0)

im not against that but like i said i read so many mixed reviews. remember im in s. florida. i run my ac year around the normal temp inside the house is 74~

I was told with the lighting that they need the vitamins from it. I have an Exo Terra bulb and it has a dimmer which works good for me.

Does anyone know about the Light source and if it has to have it or not?

Corns don't need a lighting source like other reptiles. The best way to get heat is with a regulated UTH. Even in S. Florida if you keep your house at 74, you will need a heat source for your snake. I think the light is probably warming the whole viv and the snake doesn't really have a cool side to thermalregulate properly.
Good luck in whatever way you decide is best for you. And congrats on your new baby!

actually when the light is. (for 10 hours a day on a timer) there is a temp diff. of about 5-7* from one side of the tank to the other.

well i moved the light back away from the top and the temps today are.
on top of the rock under the light 86
subrate under rock 81-82
cool side 80

Personally, I prefer having at UTH as well. Your cool side is still too hot. You might want to look into a UTH and dimmer/thermostat.

That cool side is too hot. Is your heat source controlled? If not, it must be connected to a thermostat as this will allow you to control the temperature, and will stop the tank overheating and harming your snake. Personally, I consider this an essential piece of equipment.

If you do already have your lamp controlled, then maybe the lamp just isn't the right option for the tank you have. Try switching to a UTH (thermostat again! :) ).

By the way, how are you measuring your temps? You should be using a digital thermometer with a probe. If you're using some sort of stick-on or dial thermometer, those are wildly inaccurate and your temps could be even higher than you think.

Good luck!

im using an ifrared digital thermometer. should i just shut the light off til i get another heat source?

maybe i need to move the viv. right now its near a set of french doors and its kinda warm in that part of the house. i just checked and that corner is 80* either i leave the viv there and have no heat source or move the viv.

well, i just checked on him and he has shed. i will take him out tomorrow and probably feed him soon.

Back