• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New corn snake owner with questions!

scone

Hi my name is Sage and i just got my first pet snake this weekend, an adorable baby corn snake. I have some concerns about her cage not being warm enough the thermometer says that under the heat lamp is 78 degrees which i know is not quite what it should be. Does anyone have any suggestions for things i can do to insulate her tank more? Or any other pointers you can give a first time snake owner! Thanks :D

Ditch the heat lamp and get an under tank heater (UTH) you can find at any petstore that carries reptile supplies, or you can order one online. With a UTH, you also need a thermstat to regulate the heat temp at 86, otherwise temps can get as high as 120.

Cornsnakes don't require much heat, but they do require belly heat to digest their meals, hence needing a UTH.

If you just got your corn, hopefully you can return the heat lamp...Otherwise, the UTH is about $30 and the thermostat is about $40....But they are your best bet to having a healthy, happy snake for many years to come! :)

Thanks so much! I will find a UTH at the store near me and see if I can return the heat lamp. She seems to be okay for now although I dont know how to tell if she is too cold/warm. I have found her sleeping under her water dish in the cold side and in the middle and in the warm side so she seems okay for now. I just want to be thorough so any advice you would have on behavior to look out for or anything would be greatly appreciated :D

How are you measuring the temps? Are you using a temp gun, the stick on thermometers or what? If they are the stick ons, then it's measuring the temperature of the glass which is way lower than what the temperature really is. You should pick up a temp guy, or get a digital thermometer and place the probe under the warm side hide to see what it really is in there. I also dislike heat lamps. They dry the air and pose a fire hazard. Even heat lamps should have a thermostat attached to them. The larger ones can generate a lot of heat off them.

Thanks so much! I will find a UTH at the store near me and see if I can return the heat lamp. She seems to be okay for now although I dont know how to tell if she is too cold/warm. I have found her sleeping under her water dish in the cold side and in the middle and in the warm side so she seems okay for now. I just want to be thorough so any advice you would have on behavior to look out for or anything would be greatly appreciated :D

As long as you can get proper heating soon, she should be fine with the cooler temps temporarily. You shouldn't have fed her yet since she's new, so she doesn't require the high belly heat for digestion, and aside from that a lot of corns will chill on cool side anyways.

You really do need to get a UTH with a thermostat and a good quality digital thermometer with probe to put by the thermostat's probe too. You'll find a lot of thermostat probes might be slightly off by a couple or more degrees.

I am using a digital thermometer, tomorrow I will hopefully have enough time to go back to the store and get a UTH and a thermostat.

Back