• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New corn snakes

Nic1108

u6e7ugag.jpg

emu2usyv.jpg

vabady8e.jpg

Could some one please tell me there colours of these snakes , I think the 2together are a male common and female butter??? X

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Appears to me:

Top Pic.) Amelanistic
Mid. Pic.) Possibly Hypo
Pic. of 2) Normal & Amelanistic (Maimi infuence ??) ....in which the Amel could be a Candycane ??

Those would be my GUESSES from what I can see of these pics.

Walter
:crazy02:BOUT' CORNS !!

Is it true males have longer tails ? I think the first 2 are male. Also do you think the candycane 'female' is gravid, is that he right term for being pregnant? I'm thinking this because of the swelling from vent up and also the spiked bit on her back, iv only read about this so really unsure from an untrained eye ??? X

Ok, but can I ask what makes them a amelanistic , this one has red eyes. Also the hypo has black eyes but what traits make it a hypo. Also if the candycane is pregnant to the one in pic what sort of colours would come out of both. Sorry for all the questions but loving being the new owner and want to know everything I can x

Is it true males have longer tails ? I think the first 2 are male. Also do you think the candycane 'female' is gravid, is that he right term for being pregnant? I'm thinking this because of the swelling from vent up and also the spiked bit on her back, iv only read about this so really unsure from an untrained eye ??? X

Well, it's kinda tough to see in these pics. Those are defiantly signs of being gravid (yes, correct term). Does she refuse food offerings ??

Ok, but can I ask what makes them a amelanistic , this one has red eyes. Also the hypo has black eyes but what traits make it a hypo. Also if the candycane is pregnant to the one in pic what sort of colours would come out of both. Sorry for all the questions but loving being the new owner and want to know everything I can x

Amelanistic = total abscence of melanin (black pigment)....hence the red eyes.

Hypomelanistic = REDUCTION of melanin (black pigment)

Well, if those two are in fact of Miami influence, you will probably get offspring that reasemble the normal colored one at the very least......all 100% het Amel..........
unless that normal is carrying the Amel gene in het form, then you will get a clutch of approx. 50/50 appearence of both parents.

It also all depends on if both parents are carrying other genes that might match, then you will get a total different outcome,
depending on what those other "unknown" genes are.........if they are there.

Having fun yet...........LOL ;)

Walter

Wow, ok think I'm getting it a little lol. Miami influence?? Tell me more about that. Also I really like my normal/common male he is such a sweetheart and I really like his colour, is he like the lowest of the cornsnakes world?? Also 100% het amel?? What does That mean ?? Sorry again lol x

The female ate when I first got her 2 weeks ago, 2 white mice then another 4 days later I offered her a feed today and she refused?? Is this normal?? Also the male has not eaten since I have had him 2 weeks now? The amel one has eaten once but the hypo has not. I'm offering food on a weekly basis as not sure of there feeding habits yet. Also if the top 2 are males what females would you breed them with and why?? X

The female ate when I first got her 2 weeks ago, 2 white mice then another 4 days later I offered her a feed today and she refused?? Is this normal?? Also the male has not eaten since I have had him 2 weeks now? The amel one has eaten once but the hypo has not. I'm offering food on a weekly basis as not sure of there feeding habits yet. Also if the top 2 are males what females would you breed them with and why?? X

Sometimes males go off-feed in Spring.

I would offer food less frequently than four days. I don't even feed my hatchling that often.

:) Beautiful snakes you've got.

Hi cat, and thank you I love them, can't keep my eyes off them lol. I'm new to all this , I was told my female was a butter and now a candycane can I ask what you think and also does she go off her food if gravid??

Also do u think they look up to weight ?? I thought maybe the hypo one is a little thin compared to the others?

I was told my female was a butter and now a candycane

Just to be clear, I didn't say it was defiantly a Candycane. I said it APPEARS to be.........hence my GUESS.

The pics. aren't really clear enough to tell for sure.

Walter

Sorry if I came across as being offensive in anyway that was not my intention would just like to know as many different opinions as I can get, is there any other views I could take of the snake to help determined the colour?

Wow, ok think I'm getting it a little lol. Miami influence?? Tell me more about that. Also I really like my normal/common male he is such a sweetheart and I really like his colour, is he like the lowest of the cornsnakes world?? Also 100% het amel?? What does That mean ?? Sorry again lol x

Miami Phase is pretty much a LOOK....Red/Maroon Blotches on a Silver/Grey background color for what most consider a TEXTBOOK Miami.

Whenever a Miami Phase is bred into any other corn, usually the offspring are intermediate in colortion between the two, which yours LOOKS like it COULD be.

not sure what you mean by "the lowest of the cornsnakes world"???

100% het (het = short for heterozygous) Amel means (in this case) a snake that carries the Amelanistic gene, but is not visual.

Walter

Sorry if I came across as being offensive in anyway that was not my intention would just like to know as many different opinions as I can get, is there any other views I could take of the snake to help determined the colour?

No, not at all.

Walter

Candycane/ butter what are the differences ?

Candycane = Amelanistic Miami Phase

Butter = Amelanistic Caramel

You could learn alot more & quicker if you get some reading material on cornsnake genetics. There are quite a few really good books out there written by breeders that would help you learn........one being Don Soderberg and the other Kathy Love.

You could also do a search on the forums on cornsnake genetics and find alot of info there.

Walter

Was just searching forum for genetics, so much to take in, but thank you for your time. Am I right In guessing the Miami phase and caramel are more of the traditional colours and then the amel gene was introduced ?? Or am I way out lol . My thoughts behind my normal male was everyone seems to want the bright unusual colours so is he classed as the unwanted of the corns lol, like I said I think he is beautiful :)

Was just searching forum for genetics, so much to take in, but thank you for your time.

Am I right In guessing the Miami phase and caramel are more of the traditional colours and then the amel gene was introduced ??

You are welcome.

Yes, however Miami Phase is selective bred for particular color, Caramel is a recessive gene.
The Amelanistic gene was add to these to create what is know as Candycane & Butter.

Walter

Back