• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New egg emergency. Please advise.

daneale777

I just found my sweet Zelda buried in her lay box again, with eggies under her!!! She's been buried like that for a couple days, but I didn't think she'd bury them, so I hadn't disturbed her until now. She's acting really really possessive and ornery. I don't know how to get her out without getting killed myself. She's in an ice cream container with moss.

Any ideas??? Anyone???

Congrats! Now to retrieve the eggs, be assertive. Most female corns will shove when you go to take the eggs but its all bluff. I've never been bitten retrieving eggs, even from the meanest of my females! Just be careful not to move the eggs from their deposited position in space. i.e. don't turn them sidways or flip them over. Marking the top with a water based marker or pencil before removing them helps. Be brave, she's probably too exhausted to do anything dangerous.:)
Terri

I just found my sweet Zelda buried in her lay box again, with eggies under her!!! She's been buried like that for a couple days, but I didn't think she'd bury them, so I hadn't disturbed her until now. She's acting really really possessive and ornery. I don't know how to get her out without getting killed myself. She's in an ice cream container with moss.

Any ideas??? Anyone???

What a coincidence. Only four or five days ago I found MY sweet Zelda in the same situation and mood. :grin01: Congrats, and follow Terri's advice. :)

Congrats! Now to retrieve the eggs, be assertive. Most female corns will shove when you go to take the eggs but its all bluff. I've never been bitten retrieving eggs, even from the meanest of my females! Just be careful not to move the eggs from their deposited position in space. i.e. don't turn them sidways or flip them over. Marking the top with a water based marker or pencil before removing them helps. Be brave, she's probably too exhausted to do anything dangerous.:)
Terri

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I did exactly what you said (only with leather gloves because I'm a big baby and also a mom, so I understand protection.) It worked!!! I will post pics momentarily.

THANK YOU!!

My very first EGGIES ever!!!!! (pic)

I have, alas, rescued them. They seem to look pretty good to me, but what do I know? A couple look a little darker in color and are a bit smaller, but we'll just have to wait and see.
I have them in a humid utility closet, in tupperware, on moss. I'm thinking about putting a screen (like the one on windows) under them so they aren't directly touching the moss. Does that seem okay?
I'm also currently setting up an incubator according to the aquarium/water/heater/brick method. I'm just waiting for it to get up to temp.
I am sooooo thrilled!!!!!!!!
Thanks for everyone's help and encouragement. I finally just stopped shaking because I'm so excited.
I only recently purchased Zelda (formarly Aesta) from Amanda at www.twistedserpents.com here in Minnesota and am so thankful. She is also a double clutcher! I only wish I had a second male to pair her with for round two! But, I can't be too selfish. She's Anery and he's amel, btw.

Yeah!!!!

Attachments

• EGGIES!.jpg
    EGGIES!.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 61
Congrats again! They look great. You don't really need the screen. My eggs hatch just fine sitting on spagnum moss. Just make sure you squeeze out any excess water. Wait a full 24 hours to put the eggs in once the incubator gets up to temp to make sure you don't have big fluctuations in temp. Especially high prolonged spikes. I have found that basements make very good places to put an incubator that can not cool itself. Most still air incubation systems heat very well. But if the ambient room temp exceeds the incubator temp, like in the summer, the incubator can not compensate. You end up with cooked eggs. You've been way too brave for that.:rofl:
I'm proud of you, gloves and all.:dancer:
Terri

i got my normal from amanda too! im getting another one from her this year too. good luck with the eggs
That's awesome Rick!! We also got a baby who looks to be charcoal. He's a hog!! I'm going to be checking out her babies this summer also. Like I need more. You should send me a pic of your normal.
Congrats again! They look great. You don't really need the screen. My eggs hatch just fine sitting on spagnum moss. Just make sure you squeeze out any excess water. Wait a full 24 hours to put the eggs in once the incubator gets up to temp to make sure you don't have big fluctuations in temp. Especially high prolonged spikes. I have found that basements make very good places to put an incubator that can not cool itself. Most still air incubation systems heat very well. But if the ambient room temp exceeds the incubator temp, like in the summer, the incubator can not compensate. You end up with cooked eggs. You've been way too brave for that.:rofl:
I'm proud of you, gloves and all.:dancer:
Terri
Thank you so much, Terri!! I already did the screen thing, with rocks around it to hold it up. It seems they might not pick up as much unwanted moisture that way.
Unfortunately, I don't have a basement, but was thinking of trying to run the air conditioner this summer on low, because of all the snakes. Maybe everything would be okay if I did that?

Thanks again, you guys.
:bowdown::bowdown:
:licklips:Still drooling over these babies. I feel like it's my Birthday and I've gotten the greatest gifte ever!:dunce:

If it feels like your birthday now, wait till those eggs start pipping, you won't stop whooping for joy :)

Congrats on the good looking eggs, and don't forget to post pippy pics when they hatch!

Best wishes,

If it feels like your birthday now, wait till those eggs start pipping, you won't stop whooping for joy :)

Congrats on the good looking eggs, and don't forget to post pippy pics when they hatch!

Best wishes,

Thanks Sue. I can't believe I just started with corns this last September! I'm a shutter bug, so I will definitely post pics when I receive my baby pippies!!

Back