• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New...have advice?

coloradoflower31

coloradoflower31
Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I bought an baby amelonistic cornsnake this weekend. It is my first snake. I named it Selu which is the Cherokee word for corn, it's last name is Inada which is the Cherokee word for snake, but I just call it Selu (pronounced Saylou). I am a little frustrated. I am a Science teacher and the school new principal will not allow me to bring the snake to school just to show the kids. I had planned to eventually bring the snake up to school for part of the week and bought a seperate set up for school. She says she has to make her decision after talking to Risk Management, but I am told she just doesn't like snakes. I have tried to do everything to persuade her. I oferred to bring it up when the kids are gone to show her how small it is, but she wouldn't even agree to that either. I even told her that if she wanted, I would make sure the kids don't even touch or handle ever and she still hasn't budged. I have heard that a few years back (before she was Principal) that someone kept a 6 foot Python up there. I am out of ideas on how to convince her. Other than that, I am truely in love with the snake. It is beautiful. Right now, I am handling it a few times a day. I have had it for 6 days now, so it has just been in the past 4 days or so that we have been able to get to know each other. I feed Selu on Monday and so far there have been no problems. I am really hoping the snake will like me (as much as a snake can) and that I will become Selu's "person". If you have any advice, please feel free to educate me!

Congrats on your corn. Don't know what to tell you about the issues with school, generally what the principal says goes...I'd just keep trying to convince them that this is for education...ie show her lesson plans that include the snake, etc.

Glad to have you well on the path of our addiction. Welcome, enjoy and don't be afraid to give Selu a day or two alone here and there. This is a great comunity with many people that are more than happy.

Just an idea...Ask to bring something else, such as a turtle or a few anoles, something a little less "dangerous"...

The school is really just trying to cover itself; thats what Risk Management is about. I'm surprised the school allowed a 6' python to be kept there. The "sue potential" on something like that, should it have bitten a student, would be huge, given today's frivalous "WAAAA! I'm gonna sue you!" mentality. Your principal, whether or not afraid of snakes, has to juggle whats best for the students vs. whats best for the school. A potential lawsuit from a parent, who may have all the fears and prejudices against snakes you and I don't, may just be too "risky".

Here in PA, the schools allow snakes to be brought in. At my daughter's school I was asked to just not let the students touch or get close enough to where they could be bitten. Thems the rules.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I told the Principal that there could be a rule that the kids don't get to handle the snake, but she still wouldn't say yes. I think it would be better for them to get to see a baby snake. It is frustrating. The Science Teacher accross the hall already has 3 turtles. I don't want to committ to getting a turtle since they seem to have such a long lifespan. Guess we will wait and see what she decides. I sure am enjoying "Selu". I can't wait to get home from work to hold him for a little while. It is relaxing. I am trying to get him used to me. It seems at first, he doesn't want to be picked up then when you try to put him up, he doesn't want to go back in his cage either. How long did it take for your snake to want to be picked up or crawl onto your hand when you open the cage? Or will they ever really want to be handled?

Welcome! Best of luck to you and your new snakie! Love the name!!

Isn't it sad when people are ignorant..personally I think that being afraid of corn snakes is completely irrational! :grin01:

Keep at her, maybe give her lots of information about corns, emphasising that they are NON-VENOMOUS and not particularly aggressive etc etc...

Looks like she wants the kids to grow up as ignorant and afraid as she is, which is rather sad, not to mention extremely narrow-minded for someone who is the Principal of a school...

Anyway, just my 2cents worth...lol I really hope you come right, I would just keep on at her! :grin01:

Back